Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Not going into battery HELP

sono

Someone tell me what is wrong. I'm loading for an XD 45 5 incher and the round is hanging at an angle just before going into the barrel. The round is out of the mag and in the chamber in the right direction. If I pull back on the slide slightly and let go it goes on in fine. Could it be my length?

200 gr Berrys FP over 4.5( I think) of N320 COL is 1.18

Thanks

1.250 is the max, as I recall. It sounds more like the case belling hasn't been ironed out. If not ammo, then the "tipover" angle on the ramp is too sharp, or there is a burr on the breechface/extractor.

If it happens only with your reloads, check the taper crimp. You are taper criming, aren'tyou?

I'm using a Dillon square deal to reload on. The case isn't making it up to the extractor it just is on the slide. I was guessing length due to the shape angle it is at when if fails.

My length is just fine promise :surprise: Good one you got me

do you have the same problem with traditional FMJ ammo?

plated bullets can sometimes cause feeding issues, especially in a 45. while their copper plating reduces friction, it's very very thin. since the core is soft lead, the plated bullets can be deformed when they hit the feed ramp and the top of the barrel chamber. they can get stuck there. i have a terrible time with them in my 45s and can't get them to feed reliably, even the round nose versions and no matter what overall length.

if traditional FMJ bullets feed and the plated ones don't it might be the bullet. Hard bullets, like FMJ and cast bullets can feed more reliably because the bounce off the feed ramp and top of the chamber.