Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Polished my gun

snaps

what type of polishing are you doing? Just curious to see what other people are polishing. Looks nice,....what recoil spring/ hammer spring are you running....? I was thinking of running a 12lb recoil and 14lb hammer spring with the longer firing pin

Has anyone thought to take the plunger apart and polish up the stem?

Chrome- never noticed wear on mine but i use a ghost.

leo

Chrome stainless. Not a hard chrome surface.

are you sure of that. because i am pretty sure its a finish when i ground off the front and back of my grips it did rust.

leo

edit: and technically stainless has chromium in it depending on the type.

Edited by LeoHallak

Chrome- never noticed wear on mine but i use a ghost.

leo

Chrome stainless. Not a hard chrome surface.

are you sure of that. because i am pretty sure its a finish when i ground off the front and back of my grips it did rust.

leo

edit: and technically stainless has chromium in it depending on the type.

Hmmmmm, well I guess it depends on the alloy recipe. And as far as I know stainless is only corrosion resistant; not corrosion proof. Anyway, I'm only going by what I was told it is, but I do know it isn't hard chromed.

FWIW: I've dehorned my guns around the trigger guards and knocked the corners off the safeties so they don't bite my knuckles, and so far no discoloration.

Thanks for the kind words, '

Mo Hepworth: im just using a 1/2 horse power bench buffer using 1 cutting cloth and 2 polishing cloths. ive got a 12lb recoil spring cut to around 11lb, as the gun now shoots .357 sig.

It was very nasty on the slide stop when i forgot to take the 6lb recoil spring out. the hammer spring is 13lb

I havent had any problems with rusting, its true that polishing/sanding will remove the stainless finish and its benifical properties, i always keep my gun nice and oiled up and heaps of silica gel baggies in my safe.