Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

'nother stupid new guy reloading question

Mark K

I am considering changing from 200gr FMJ and Plated bullets to lead 180gr bullets in my Limited gun. According to the load data I have, I and use the same powder, with almost the same charge (only a few 1/10ths diff). What should I expect in the recoil feel department?

Mark

That is not really a stupid question. It will be snappier and as HSMITH said, it will be a little bit faster. Goodluck. I'm pretty sure you will feel a difference.

Thanks to both of you.

Always learning

Mark

Uh... Normally, with a faster bullet, the impact point is lower...as I recall...

Guy

My experience is that a lighter bullet same speed shoots lower, which makes sense to me. Faster bullets same weight hit lower though (at close range), which defies logic. Anybody know why?

Uh... Normally, with a faster bullet, the impact point is lower...as I recall...

Guy

My experience is that a lighter bullet same speed shoots lower, which makes sense to me. Faster bullets same weight hit lower though (at close range), which defies logic. Anybody know why?

The barrel is actually at a slight upward angle so the faster bullet reaches the target in a short amount of time giving less time for gravity to act on the bullet so it is still going up as it hits the target.

Assume a barrel that is perfectly horizontal to the ground. If you shoot a bullet as the same time as you drop one they will both hit the ground at the same time due to the acceleration of gravity (32 ft/s^2 or 9.8m/s^2). Google projectile motion for some better info.

It has to do with the recoil and time in the barrel. A faster (usually a lighter) bullet leaves the bore sooner in the recoil cycle, meaning that it strikes lower than a bullet staying in the bore longer (slower or heavier, normally).

The bore is actually pointing down with respect to the sights when you fire the gun.

Guy

It has to do with the recoil and time in the barrel. A faster (usually a lighter) bullet leaves the bore sooner in the recoil cycle, meaning that it strikes lower than a bullet staying in the bore longer (slower or heavier, normally).

The bore is actually pointing down with respect to the sights when you fire the gun.

Guy

+1