Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need some legal advice

Honesty always went farther with me than anything else. One also has to realize that while there may not be a "quota" there is a level of "activity" that is usually expected. I worked for a full service (you get the call you answer the call) state police force. Speeding tickets were not all that important to me unless they were above and beyond. That being said any officer that does nothing for a some period of time will soon be unemployed and that is not a happy thing. Traffic violators want officers to arrest real criminals, the real criminals want officers to arrest someone else also. A no win situation.

My plan for not getting stopped is be observant of the speed limit, I usually stay reasonably close to that (8-10) over, run my cruise control, keep your eyes open, and if I get stopped I take my medicine if it is dished out.

I travel a lot. My system has worked very well so far (knock on wood).

Gary

P.S. Clamity Jane, you should have recuited that Trooper to your next USPSA match and then you could have been his RO. Might have been interesting.

Edited by Gary Stevens

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The purpose of this post was to solicit some legal advice because I know there are many lawyers on the forum.

A "Range Lawyer" is not the same and does not qualify most to be a "real" lawyer. :goof:

Yeah...I got stopped tonight by one our young State Police. I'm thankful they are out there to keep us all safe. I'm not sure how fast I was going...but I know how fast he said I was going. I gave him 2 registrations because I was nervous and couldn't tell which one was correct. He ended up writing me a ticket but used the wrong registration. He documented that I was driving a black, year 2000 , Jer make. I think this is the registration for our black trailer. So the ticket is not correct. If I choose to go to court...do I have a legal leg to stand on....or do I just take the 4 points and $175 fine? I'm low on cash, and a little irked on how the officer handled the stop...so I'm looking for alternatives I wouldn't normally explore. Thanks to anybody who knows the legal skinny on the situation.

i haven't read any responses..since there is already several pages... here's mine. just pay the ticket. you will not be able to beat it. the courts will always side on the police officer. and if you go to court to contest it you'll get slapped with the fine and court cost.

that's the way it's here in tennessee.

lynn

Jane, not sure how Indiana is but here we can go to traffic school and get the fine reduced. If school isnt an option then , at least here, its no different a fine if you plead not guilty and have a trial. I would ask for a jury trial. My lawyer says you can do that here in KY. Not every Judge will allow it though. Either way if you don't mind spending the time in court and you want the tax system to earn their money plead not guilty and make them spend more dollars than they will get from your fine. If enough of us do that they may rethink the speed trap type tickets. Unless your in Virginia and a ticket is over a 1000.00. Since it was in the 4 lane section you could argue that you were not unsafe but thats a stretch. The speed limit is set that way to separate you and your money to start with. I see it all the time, be cruising down the highway and all of a sudden you see a End Construction sign. Hell I didn't know I was in a construction zone and didn't see any for miles. But with that sign they can charge you twice the amount on a ticket. I don't think it was left up by accident.

My son got a pretty severe ticket. Speeding 17 over(72/55), improper passing and reckless driving. He was done. No way to really fight it and win. The one ticket is 13 points. He had another pending that was 6 points(44/25) that the Judge already continued long enough for him to turn 18 where he is allowed 12 points instead of the 7 for minors and take traffic school. The 44/25 is also a speed trap situation, he wasnt paying attention and following 2 other cars. He was just unlucky. He went to court yesterday for the big one willing to beg mercy but his football coach was there who happens to be a lawyer in his real job. He looked at the ticket, went over to talk to the County Attorney and the Judge. Got it continued and said he would get the reckless dismissed and possibly the improper passing. He was passing on a double yellow line around a car doing 30 where there was plenty of room for that speed. I have done it myself in that spot. He will still end up with 6 points minimum after this is all over but the attorney does help get it reduced but will hardly ever get it dismissed completely.

BTW Austin was so scared he says he learned his lesson and never speeds anymore.

All right people here is the deal.....Calamity Jane decides to pay her debt to society....can you say deferral program?

Just made the phone call. The kind lady at the prosecutor's office says it will cost me a total of $242 and I'll have to fill out some paper work that she will mail to me. Return the paper work with the check and THE PONTS GO AWAY! :)

Cruise control from here on out. ;)

All right people here is the deal.....Calamity Jane decides to pay her debt to society....can you say deferral program?

Just made the phone call. The kind lady at the prosecutor's office says it will cost me a total of $242 and I'll have to fill out some paper work that she will mail to me. Return the paper work with the check and THE PONTS GO AWAY! :)

Cruise control from here on out. ;)

Be carefull, they got that covered by changing the speed limits so you have stay on top of it or you will be donating more to the state.