Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question on light strike W/ 625

socom308

I bought a new S&W .45 revolver several years ago and I find myself shooting it more now. I was shooting a match at a local club last weekend and had several "click no bang" moments . I examined the primers afterwards and found only a very light pin prick of a dimple. The rounds that went off had heavy dimples in them. These are reloads but I make sure the primers are seated fully. I took the grip off the gun and tightened the hammer spring screw a quater turn and reshot the gun with no further problems that day. I had marked the screw to see if it was backing out during shooting and it seems it does back out some with repeated use. However, the trigger pull is pretty heavy now with it not light striking and it seems there may be another solution. When the light strikes occured, the trigger pull was still fairly stiff. I'm also wondering about the firing pin legnth??? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm considering having the Performance Center do an action job on it and ask them about the problem as well. :unsure:

Backing out the strain screw to lighten the trigger pull is not a good thing to do. Get a wolff spring kit from brownells part # 080-665-201. It's less than $20 and will reduce the trigger pull without filing down or backing out the strain screw. I really like this hammer spring and have used it in over a dozen guns with great results.

Gary J.

Edited by HighVelocity

There are many threads here on trigger jobs. Before you send your gun to the Performance Center you might consider using the Search thingy in the upper right corner to find more details than you can stand.

As stated, backing out the strain screw is not the thing to do. It will not stay put, even with locktite. The Wolff kit is a better choice, I have used it, and if I can find it I'll send it to you. PM me your address and I'll look for it this evening if you want it.

IMHO the P.C. trigger jobs aren't worth the money and you can do a better job at your kitchen table with better results.

But that is only the tip of the affliction... :blink:

There are many threads here on trigger jobs. Before you send your gun to the Performance Center you might consider using the Search thingy in the upper right corner to find more details than you can stand.

As stated, backing out the strain screw is not the thing to do. It will not stay put, even with locktite. The Wolff kit is a better choice, I have used it, and if I can find it I'll send it to you. PM me your address and I'll look for it this evening if you want it.

IMHO the P.C. trigger jobs aren't worth the money and you can do a better job at your kitchen table with better results.

Thanks for the input guys. Sorry, I just joined this forum and this is my first post here. I'll check the "search thingy"

As stated, backing out the strain screw is not the thing to do. It will not stay put, even with locktite.

I back out the strain screw and put it in a zip lock bag and replace it with a socket set screw. 290 LocTite (it's wicking for use on assembled fasteners) will hold them in place.

I have used Tom E's method of replacing the strain screw with a longer one with good results on my S&W 617 (Rimfire Central Tom? small world). Less failure to fires. Will try it on my center fires soon. Has to work on the same principals whatever it does.

Thanks for the input guys. Sorry, I just joined this forum and this is my first post here. I'll check the "search thingy"

socom308, Just joined and ain't been welcomed yet? we must be slipping. welcome to the forum and the revovler nation. :cheers: