Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chrome

pevadijk

I have a blued STI Edge, which is 'not so blue' anymore in some places and has some minor scatches on the polished sides and cocking serrations.

Since I also have hands that make guns rust in a heartbeat, I guess I want my gun chromed.......but should I leave the sides matte or polished and will those scratches dissapear after the chrome job?

Definitely chrome it, brushed, matte or bright is up to you. If the plater does his work it will look like a brand new gun when you get it back.

My hands rust guns badly too, chrome is the best finish I have found.

My STI Troj gun was blued but after 4 months it shows scratches here and there and small areas which I suspect rust. I had it hard chromed (flat, not shiny) and for 8 years now it still looks newly chromed and I find it easy to clean too.

I don't want to hijack this thread but I'm in a similar dilemma. My gun is also showing some wear and I do want to protect it. However, I really like the look of a black gun as opposed to a shiny chromed one. What are my other choices? Would re-blueing be adviceable or is it just a waste of time any money? :) TIA

I had a 2011 built a few months ago and was debating the finish. I found a guy locally who parkerized it for $75. I hate the idea of shipping my new gun off. It looks good to me. I like the black. I know it won't wear like chrome, but I don't care if it looks like it's seen some hard use. I had my edge chromed last winter, and the frame cracked (make sure you send it to Tripp, I didn't). STI took care of my mistake, fixed my gun, and sent it to Tripp to be rechromed. It looks great, but now I wish I could lighten the slide a little now. Chrome is a little to permanent for me, to difficult to make mods later.

My trojan is looking pretty ragged. I'm going with chrome. I prefer a black gun and was intrested in ION Bond until the price increase.

Between blue and park, I would go with the park.

Rik