Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

H322 and 75gr HPBT

SDlocal

Hey All,

Not a newbie when it comes to loading and I understand listed max loads. I loaded up some 75gr with 22gr of H322 and it still seemed pretty soft. I checked the primers for pressure signs and everything looked good. I don't have a chrono but was wondering if anyone had edge up this combo and if how far up did you go. I will test a few rounds @ smaller increments but was looking for any input....

• 2 weeks later...

Remember this: Max load is a relative thing. It means that if it got passed around to everyone in SAAMI, it is really close to their maximum. Is it safe in all guns? Most likely yes, but maybe not. Is it close to maximum for your gun? Again, most likely yes, but maybe no.

It does sound like the load is soft in your gun, and can probably be worked up to a faster level, if you want or need that. If it is really soft, it might get more uniform with some additional powder.

I would not hand out ammo loaded above any manual's max load to anybody else or try it in another rifle without working up to it. Just because it appears soft in your rifle does not mean it is safe in another chamber and throat....

Billski

how long a barrel? h322 is awful fast for that big a bullet. it'll go bang, but to get the accurate sweet spot w/ a 20" barrel, it's gonna be real small, twitchy. maybe w/a 16"....so many shooters think that their one pet load is the total shizzit, and that ain't necessarily so... slower powders are usually the thing w/ bigger bullets, though. 322 and 55 hornadys worked real good in my 20" 1 in 9. not as accurate as 69's. varget or 4895 w/ 69's. just put on a new 1-8 20" sabre barrel, gonna try some 77's. experimenting is how you learn...and those that don't......don't.....

Try this website Reloaders Nest

When I was working up loads for this bullet. I used TAC at 25.3 with an OAL from the Ogive of 2.860. I know it sucks to spend money on a Chrono that you will use rarely, but it really is handy. I bought the cheap F1 and it does the trick.