Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP ulmos maintenance

el pres

I finally got my new toy this week and I'm ear to ear. :D Warning:toy show off time !!

JP.jpg

Went out today to break it in and test loads and my biggest problem is I cant decide which powder weight

load to go with, they are almost all .75 moa!! :surprise:

100yd

jp1.jpg

200yd

jp2.jpg

These were with an astignatism in my dominate eye and a military reticle !!! If I had a hunting scope and some glasses would they be in the same hole ??? :lol:

The rifle is a real piece of quality work, I'm very pleased... Question for owners, what are things to look for in maintnance

from a standard AR, I got the ULMOS carrier ? Any special lubricants for carrier or trigger, better then others ??

If your running two loads, say 55 hoser and 69 long range, which load do you tune the gas to, big difference from load

to load I found ??

Edited by DIRTY CHAMBER

I reduce the gas until it starts to slow cycle ..or fail....then up gas until function....and add a little more more good measure

Its best to over gas a little...than be on the edge.

I found the aluminum carrier to be a bit more finicky about loads...and MAGS

I put a couple drops of FP10 in the exaust ports in the carrier and wet the rails also...after each cleaning and use.

The whole deal about this system is reduced recipricating mass....= less felt recoil.

but it also means less kinetic energy stored in the carrier to cycle...and strip a new round.

so special attention to mags, loads , and cleanlyness are required

I ultimately switched to the stainless low mass system..for absolute reliability.

and in my opinion the TI carrier may be the best of both worlds

Jim

When an AR gets hot, it leaks a lot more gas and will stop cycling if you have the gas adjusted to just barely hold the bolt back for when it's cold. So it's a REALLY good idea to have that extra cushion of pressure. Keep in mind powder burn rate will also affect cycling which may come into play if you're going to run 55s and 69s. Slower burning powder works better.

The TI carrier is pretty cool but you can take a LOT of weight out by messing with your buffer weight IF you aren't lucky enough to have the JP system.

I am going to try a new recoil buffer/spacer combo this year which involves running a carbine buffer in a rifle tube that has a plug in it with spacer rings to adjust the spring tension. The prototypes are black delrin. It'll be cool to see how long the plastic lasts in the recoil assembly.

Nick

I just made some delrin buffers last night Standard and carbine. Just need some Buffer Technology's bumpers now. I might offer some up for sale if they work out. Price shouldn't be too bad. Won't be til I know how the delrin holds up. I am making them a little longer than normal to account for some compression that might take place. I also moved the spring perch forward a little. I use the NM bolt Carriers that have a little extra weight.

Most of my testing has shown heavier buffers offer a better double tap so this is going to be fun seeing what happens. Maybe I'll smash the carrier key into the lower :o

Nick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Physics majors get your pencils out!

I am interested in knowing the total weight of the ULMOS recoil system. Bolt carrier assembly + Buffer.

Stock Dpms BCAs are about 11.2 OZ. I am running the YM Nat'l Match which is 11.4OZ

Stock rifle buffers are 5.1OZ + 11.2= 16.3OZ normally.

My Delrin rifle buffer is 1.8OZ with BT's bumper

My Delrin carbine buffer is .8 OZ " "

I have a plug that I can run the carbine buffer in the rifle tube.

So I can go as low as 12.2OZ total which is 75% of normal mass.

The question is what will happen running the lighter buffers????

Will the buffer spring be able to slow down the BCA better or will it slam harder into the end of the buffer requiring use of an XP spring or less gas?

Will the BCA open sooner when there is higher pressure at the chamber still and affect things?

The variant problem is that I'm using a 17" barrel with rifle gas system which will differ from the normal 20"?

Let's here some opinions before the testing gets underway.

Looks there won't be any problems hittin those small plates at 300 with that JP!

Nick

Dirty Chamber,

#1. Great looking rifle:) I love the JP rifles and have a lesser VTac myself.

#2. Tune your gas to the 55 grain bullet/load. Always tune to the lesser pressure which is 95% the load with the lighter bullet.

#3. Buffers are funny...I took "all" the weight out of my JP supplied buffer and then tuned it with my 55 grain bullets and am very happy. My close friend tried the same thing and got slam fires for his effort. I am not sure of the right answer but it sure is fun to play with. I have ran this/my fomula for over a year now with no problems.

#4. As with all guns, please try what the manufacture suggest from lubes to adjustments. If you are unsure please call John Paul (JP) and twist his ear to get a better informed answer from an expert. He is a great guy and of course fellow shooter/multi-gunner and will give it to you straight.

Scott

One thing to watch out for when attaching the ACOG with the integral screws is that the screws can seize up (I use automotive anit-seize compound). I had one seize to the point where the hex hole stripped out completely when I tried to unscrew it. I sent it back to JP and he worked his magic and got the screw out without so much as the tiniest of scratches or marks.

I've been using the JP ACOG mount since it's low profile, easy to change, and also fits my JP15 that doesn't have the integral ACOG mount.

• 2 months later...

Well been useing the rifle for a couple of months now and it only gets better

as I get more and more tuned in. I did pretty well on a long range rifle stage

at a match this weekend which I attribute directly to the quality of this rifle. Hit

some 500 yd bonus targets in a 10-20 crosswind on the first shot.... enough praising !! :P

I been working on getting the thing working 100%... With the ULMOS, in the begining I had some

failure to feed problems where the carrier did not have enough power to push the round all the

way up into the chamber causing a nasty jam if you racked it as it would try to strip another one

behind it. Had to learn to drop the mag instead. Luckly I caught all this in practice before any

major match and completely eliminated the problem with two things, tumbling my loaded ammo

, and useing powdered graphite in my loaded magazines. Works 100% on the time now !!! :D

The thing is that that powdered graphite is some messy stuff and was wondering if you guys are

useing anything else that works just as good ?? Silicone spray maybe ?? B)

Edited by DIRTY CHAMBER

• 4 weeks later...
Physics majors get your pencils out!

I am interested in knowing the total weight of the ULMOS recoil system. Bolt carrier assembly + Buffer.

Stock Dpms BCAs are about 11.2 OZ. I am running the YM Nat'l Match which is 11.4OZ

Stock rifle buffers are 5.1OZ + 11.2= 16.3OZ normally.

My Delrin rifle buffer is 1.8OZ with BT's bumper

My Delrin carbine buffer is .8 OZ " "

I have a plug that I can run the carbine buffer in the rifle tube.

So I can go as low as 12.2OZ total which is 75% of normal mass.

The question is what will happen running the lighter buffers????

Will the buffer spring be able to slow down the BCA better or will it slam harder into the end of the buffer requiring use of an XP spring or less gas?

Will the BCA open sooner when there is higher pressure at the chamber still and affect things?

I played around with this a while back and what I found was that you actually need SOME weights that move in the buffer.

Without any weights, I had bolt-bounce problems in fast double taps.

Those moving weights are there to keep the carrier from bouncing off the back of the barrel extension.

JP uses an A2 buffer shell, but puts aluminum weights in it.

I have been taking A2 buffers and removing 3 of the steel weights.

Then I make a delrin spacer that accounts for the missing weights and the aluminum spacer that I remove.

This gives me a buffer that's slightly lighter than a standard carbine buffer, with just enough moving weights to eliminate the bolt-bounce issue.

For those not aware of what's inside your buffers, here's my buffer construction picture:

buffer-construction.jpg