Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challenge "Open" Gun

BN91205

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and want to thank everyone first off for all the great information provided. I have been gunsmithing my own 1911's for 3 years now - yes, I'm still a rookie. Gone through lots of trial and error and for the first year, but now my pistols are performing solidly (for me anyways). I am now interested in building an "open-class" Steel Challenge gun.

For those who own or have knowledge of these types of pistols, I would like to know what many of you have found to be an ideal slide weight for proper cycling using lighter ammunition 115gr. @ 1050-1100fps (120-125PF). The conversion will be done on a Springfield Gov't 9x19. A close friend owns a machine shop that I have unlimited access to so I figured I would take a little off at a time, but a starting point would sure help.

Thanks again for all the information, I look forward to reading your reccomendations.

Regards,

Brian

Edited by BN91205

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and want to thank everyone first off for all the great information provided. I have been gunsmithing my own 1911's for 3 years now - yes, I'm still a rookie. Gone through lots of trial and error and for the first year, but now my pistols are performing solidly (for me anyways). I am now interested in building an "open-class" Steel Challenge gun.

For those who own or have knowledge of these types of pistols, I would like to know what many of you have found to be an ideal slide weight for proper cycling using lighter ammunition 115gr. @ 1050-1100fps (120-125PF). The conversion will be done on a Springfield Gov't 9x19. A close friend owns a machine shop that I have unlimited access to so I figured I would take a little off at a time, but a starting point would sure help.

Thanks again for all the information, I look forward to reading your reccomendations.

Regards,

Brian

I'm no smith, but shorten the slide, a dovetail cut and flat-top/tri-top are easy starters. Inside lightning will be a lot trickier and a lot more time-consuming.

I've seen a few slides where the "cocking serratations" were milled away to shave a little on the sides as well. My old SV IMM had that.

If I ever build another steel gun, it will be a 5" bushing slide. No comp. flat top, swoop rear. Maybe a few holes in slide for show.

I had a 9mm limited gun built on a STI frame that I used for steel & IDPA ESP that shot 110 pf loads all day long. Flat as could be.

Put a dot on it and run. I think the comp sometimes can cause more reliability issues than it is worth.