Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Wolf .223 Cases?

Mark K

I don't know that I will ever shoot my AR enough to justify the equipment to reload .223. (I have a Dillon 650 and reload for 9mm and 40SW). But collect any 223 cases I see when I do shoot it. Some are the Wolf steel cases (gray). Is anybody reloading these cases?

Thanks

Mark K.

I don't know that I will ever shoot my AR enough to justify the equipment to reload .223. (I have a Dillon 650 and reload for 9mm and 40SW). But collect any 223 cases I see when I do shoot it. Some are the Wolf steel cases (gray). Is anybody reloading these cases?

Thanks

Mark K.

There is a thread on the AR-15 forum (can't find link, I am on wife's computer) where there is a ton of folks reloading the steel cases. A bit rougher on the dies, however, no case stretch like the brass .223 cases. Some guys are up to 9 and 10 reloads on the same case. It can be done, however, not a large amount of the mainstream reloaders are doing it.

Thanks

Mark K.

There is a thread on the AR-15 forum (can't find link, I am on wife's computer) where there is a ton of folks reloading the steel cases. A bit rougher on the dies, however, no case stretch like the brass .223 cases. Some guys are up to 9 and 10 reloads on the same case. It can be done, however, not a large amount of the mainstream reloaders are doing it.

Here is the link off the AR15 site.

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=423

plus..

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&...3792&page=1

Edited by maineshootah

WolfM-855.jpg

Seen the price of factory ammo or even 1x fired brass these days? Factory Wolf is not terribly accurate in my RRA. But, the reloaded steel cases apparently have good consistency and possibly very good accuracy potential.

Price is right.

Plus, you can be reasonablt sure its once fired.

Edited by Carlos

The posts in those links indicate that there doesn't seem to be an increased rate of wear on the dies.

Even if they do Lee dies are being used (and apparently recommended). Lee RGB dies that include a bullet seater and sizer are $13.50 from Midway. LEE FCD for the .223 are at $9.50. So even if the dies wear out the dies are relatively cheap.

I have reloaded 500 rounds of wolf steel cases so far the dies havent been affected and everything is working fine. They can be reloading a few times but I wouldn't recommend it I reload my once and then trash them. Of course there are a few people that will tell you they have loaded them x number of times, but we dont know if they were full power loads or what stresses the cases were under. Be safe

No chance no way no how....am I going to reload...or even shoot steel cased ammo in MY guns.

Even with the price of ammo and brass...one can still pick up enough 223 brass here and there to be usefull

I picked up close to two K in ten minutes at Raton...on the sight in range..(gotta love the lazy people) :cheers:

Jim

Giggle :rolleyes:

I wish I were rich!!!

I actually have to scratch for every dime..this sport is eating me alive in cost.

as steel cases go...after the coating is gone...from fire to tumble....corosion seems unavoidable.

I have seen friends have nasty trouble from wolf 223...and damage!

I would shoot it in a battle rifle...but not my match guns.

ALL 223 is expensive now...and you can load 223 for less than new wolf stuff.

I pick up all the 223 brass I find....I look at it like dimes thrown on the ground.

But is sure is a PITA to process :blink:

Jim :)

• 2 weeks later...

I found some steel S&B at the range the other day. I loaded a few using my RCBS dies and took no special precautions whatsoever. They shot just as well as the loads using brass cases and they look like they can be reloaded again. I'm not saying I'd want to do this on a regular basis but it's nice to know that it will work when necessary.

Dave Sinko