Sestock

Here's what I've got.

- 18" Fluted DPMS Mark 12 Barrel

- Comp

- Bolt

- Charging Handle

- Gas Tube

I am going to get a CMT upper.

Handguard - Options I am leaning towards either a V-tac or a YHM Lightweight - any opinions

Gas Block - What should I get

What else am I forgetting?

TI bolt carrier

jim :)

PS in my experiance....The Vtac is very rigid I use it on many of my builds

Sorry, Jim,

I'd advise a carbon fiber handguard. I got tired of wearing a glove. The carbon fiber handguard doesn't get hot, well not very quickly. Certainly not as fast as aluminum.

But, then, I'm not a "Tacticool" kind of guy.

[quote name='GentlemanJim' date='Feb 8 2008, 07:47 PM' post='702092

I have never run into that particular problem. Must be age. :devil:

JP pretty much makes and sells the best of everything.

I happen to think the V-Tac is the nicest handguard out there.

Torn between the JP lightweight SS carrier and the new titanium beauty from Progressive Machine.

Sestock:

Use the JP gas block...adjustable and can be used for an iron front sight if needed. You can adjust the gas any way you want and for your loads. I took all the weights out of the buffer to cycle the carrier quicker, then turned the gas off and using my lighest bullet/load shot 3 rounds, adjusted the gas and did this until the gun ejected and ran, then opened the gas screw about a half a turn more and locked it down. Not one problem all last season and it feels great.

JP makes great stuff. His VTac handguard is very good but if you use JP's cooling fins the handguards get hotter quicker. I guess for a cooler barrel the heat has to go somewhere. Even in the Iron-Man the handguard is still ok without gloves.

Hope this helps,

Scott

I am building an AR too,

starting from the back

fixed ACE stock

SNS Lower special order

CAA pistol Grip

Single Stage trigger group

Olympic K-16 upper

PK-01 red dot

Currently waiting for parts (and funds not doing this on credit card thing saving up for everything skipping lunch or eating canned tuna)

Edited by Topmaul

TI bolt carrier

jim :)

Sorry, Jim,

I'd advise a carbon fiber handguard. I got tired of wearing a glove. The carbon fiber handguard doesn't get hot, well not very quickly. Certainly not as fast as aluminum.

But, then, I'm not a "Tacticool" kind of guy.

I like carbon too, Pri's has a heat sheild inside but, it is high dollar. The 4 rail tubes are good for hanging up on everything.

Most people are adding carrier weights so why pay twice as much for a Ti carrier and then add more weight? I haven't had a carrier break in 15 years so I don't think strength is an issue.

A heavy carrier is not the hot ticket in our sport.

Vtac is not a quad rail...its smooth

I dont understand why you need a glove?? I have shot fast stages close to 100 rnds ...and didnt get burnt.

Not to say I have not had an AR or M16 hot enough to light a cigarette on.

But most of our shooting is less demanding.

Jim

My son's rifle has a carbon fiber (clark) handguard and mine a JP Vtac. The JP Vtac stays much cooler in high rnd cound / fast shooting stages. I'll probably swap his forearm out for a Vtac at some point. Initially we went CF for the weight, but since he grew almost 6" last year :o (age 14), it is no longer an issue ;). My recommendation would be the Vtac. Nick-

My son's rifle has a carbon fiber (clark) handguard and mine a JP Vtac. The JP Vtac stays much cooler in high rnd cound / fast shooting stages. I'll probably swap his forearm out for a Vtac at some point. Initially we went CF for the weight, but since he grew almost 6" last year :o (age 14), it is no longer an issue ;). My recommendation would be the Vtac. Nick-

I guess I'll try one on the next rifle. :cheers:

I dont understand why you need a glove?? I have shot fast stages close to 100 rnds ...and didnt get burnt.

Jim

Was talking about rails on a YHM in the OP. Light carriers and fast carrier speeds damage AR bolts in every shooting sport but, you could tame it with an adjustable gas block. I see that the carriers are just TI coated so it is for friction and that cool gold cold huh?

Edited by ar15performance

Here's what I've got.

- 18" Fluted DPMS Mark 12 Barrel

- Comp

- Bolt

- Charging Handle

- Gas Tube

I am going to get a CMT upper.

Handguard - Options I am leaning towards either a V-tac or a YHM Lightweight - any opinions

Gas Block - What should I get

What else am I forgetting?

Do you have a link for that DPMS barrel?

Jim

Was talking about rails on a YHM in the OP. Light carriers and fast carrier speeds damage AR bolts in every shooting sport but, you could tame it with an adjustable gas block. I see that the carriers are just TI coated so it is for friction and that cool gold cold huh?

NO not tacticool BS!!!....real TI...6al-4v

Sorry...your comment on hand guards ...made me think you ment the Vtac.

In our game we sometimes beat our equipment pretty hard ...to gain an edge.

Jim

Jim

NO not tacticool BS!!!....real TI...6al-4v

Sorry...your comment on hand guards ...made me think you ment the Vtac.

In our game we sometimes beat our equipment pretty hard ...to gain an edge.

Jim

Are you making these TI carriers? YM has changed their match carriers and I am looking for a better carrier and hopefully one that is .002-.004 larger in dia. than a standard carrier. I was going through 10-20 uppers and carriers to match up that correct fit and it gets worse every year.

Are you making these TI carriers? YM has changed their match carriers and I am looking for a better carrier and hopefully one that is .002-.004 larger in dia. than a standard carrier. I was going through 10-20 uppers and carriers to match up that correct fit and it gets worse every year.

Progressive is making the TI Carriers:

http://www.progressivemachine.net/products.html