Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry Firing

j0hn

I don't think she understands the need for it.

It's a moral imperative. :devil:

The more I do it, the less my wife rolls her eyes. I think she equates it with playing "army man" like the kids across the street. I do practice in another room, though, so as not to annoy her unnecessarily. I could have worse hobbies and other mid life crises like 18 year old redheads and convertibles. I think my current obsession is much safer.

• 1 month later...
Don't mean to hijack this thread but I need so info that is related..

I just did a swap for a S&W M&P 9mm ..This gun has the Mass trigger,around lbs,and figure that dry firing would help to smooth out the pull..I find nothing in the manual on this topic whatsoever..I have a Sigma and have been told that dryfire does not harm it in any way so it has been dry fired like maybe a million times and shot quite a bit and the trigger did smooth out rather well..Still heavy but better..Was told on an other forum not to dry fire with out a snapcap..Must say snap caps are a pain in the butt and would prefer not to use them...I read that the M&P is getting rather popular and hoped that someone would set me on the right path..

Thanks

Bompa

Look at www.mp-pistol.com.

The short version is that for the M&P there is a *chance* of the striker failing after lots of dry-fire. Hard to say if it was an early production run or what, but ToddG says he's been testing a new striker S&W designed to help resolve the issue. If yours breaks S&W seems quick to replace it. But some keep a spare striker in their range bag.

On the M&P you need to rack the slide to fire again, it is possible to pull it back a wee bit and not eject the snap-cap. I practice with a training barrel just out of sheer paranoia, so no snap-caps most of the time for me.