Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Short Range Irons

el pres

50yd zero....then you KNOW your bullet will never be above the line of sight for the close stuff. At 25yds, it will be about an 1" or so low and at 10 yds about 1.5" (give or take).

VERY important to know that when rat bastard COF designers put them no shoots up close on head shots......always aim OVER the target!!!!

And, yes.....I can be, have been and will be one of those designers when I get a wild hair.

• 2 weeks later...

I've worried about the same thing in the past. Those side mounted irons really only come into play if you've got a stage with long range steel (scope cranked up all the way) and then some real tight close range paper shots mixed in so it's hard to change your magnification during the course of fire.

I can count on one hand the number of times I've actually seen that in a match. Most of the time the close stuff can be point shot indexing off the free float tube. They're usually close enough to see your holes appear in the paper. Follow up correction shots can be quickly and easily made if that's the case.

I've taken all that crap off my rifles and just gone with the scope or dot. Too much extra stuff to worry about. I've tried them all, flip up BUIS, the JP iron sight up set up and, on open rifles, mounting a C-more on the rail.

I've worried about the same thing in the past. Those side mounted irons really only come into play if you've got a stage with long range steel (scope cranked up all the way) and then some real tight close range paper shots mixed in so it's hard to change your magnification during the course of fire.

I can count on one hand the number of times I've actually seen that in a match. Most of the time the close stuff can be point shot indexing off the free float tube. They're usually close enough to see your holes appear in the paper. Follow up correction shots can be quickly and easily made if that's the case.

I've taken all that crap off my rifles and just gone with the scope or dot. Too much extra stuff to worry about. I've tried them all, flip up BUIS, the JP iron sight up set up and, on open rifles, mounting a C-more on the rail.

Agree, but I have a fixed 4x scope and am tired of getting stuck in it...