Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LWD G-35 9mm Conversion Barrel

sslav

I have put about 600 rounds of precision molly coated bullets through my brand new LWD 9mm conversion barrel for my G-35 in two practice sessions - about 300 rounds each. After each session there was signifficant leading in the barrel - more towards the front of the barrel - less towards the back. About 1/2" following the chamber is pretty clear and it gradually builds up towards the front to the point where lands and groves are nearly blended together in the front of the barrel. I thought that that was not supposed to happen with molly coating - at least that is what is claimed on precision front page. I load 147 grain TC over 3.1 grains of Tightgroup with .155 OAL.

Slav

I just went through a major leading issue with some Bear Creek moly coated bullets. They leaded in every 9mm barrel I had. Problem turned out to be a too small bullet diameter. They came in at .355-.356. BC sent me some sized to .357. No leading at all. Titegroup is not the best choice for lead or moly coated bullets IMO. I have switched over to Solo 1000.

Well not exactly no lead. I did get just a trace with TG powder - none with Solo.

Bear Creek replaced my original order at N/C.

I've had a little leading in both the OEM and Lone Wolf barrels in my G34. It was initially bad in the lone wolf and then I ran about 300-400 rounds of jacketed out of it and it started to minimize the leading. I think the LWD barrels have to be broken in with jacketed rounds before you start to see the leading go away. overcrimping will shrink the bullet and cause some leading too.