Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Algebra

Shooter Grrl

So this little blond chick I'm married to whose bitched for decades "I suck at math...I hate math...algebra is stupid.....I suck at math....." is pulling an A in Intermediate Algebra...so far...kicks my ass.... :wacko:

You can get it...you just gotta stick with it and it will click....really....it even sounds like that...it goes...

CLICK

When I was in college, I was taking so much upper math and calculus, I would literally (involuntarily) solve problems in my sleep. Calculus finally clicked for me about 3 am one morning when I solved a problem that had been kicking my butt for forever. I woke up, and suddenly EVERYTHING that I'd been doing for 3 years made sense. I was so strange.....just....BAM! And I got it.

Unfortunately, I had the dream about 6 months after the final exam.

:wacko:

So this little blond chick I'm married to whose bitched for decades "I suck at math...I hate math...algebra is stupid.....I suck at math....." is pulling an A in Intermediate Algebra...so far...kicks my ass.... :wacko:

You can get it...you just gotta stick with it and it will click....really....it even sounds like that...it goes...

CLICK

Brian,

This is the one place where nothing good generally comes from the sound, CLICK. I understand the concept of the epiphany and just wish it would come for me in math, too. Guess it's back to the book for more of the cheating...errr, practice. Still managing to pull an A in my Algebra class, though. Hmmm... Guess he hasn't hit my insecurity block yet. :o

Liota

Ok, maybe this will help y'all having some fun with algebra.

Data:

A mother is 21 years older than her baby.

In 6 years baby will be 5 times younger than mother.

Question:

where is actually baby's father?

The problem is mathematically solvable, involves a couple of simple equations and will have an unambiguos, well defined answer.

I'll wait for your responses, then post the solution.

Who's coming in first?

OK, since it looks like L2S is the only one who correctly did homeworks, here you are the solution:

Solution:

Let's assume baby is X years old and mother is Y years old.

The equation related to the first data (A mother is 21 years older than her baby) gives: Y = X + 21.

The equation related to the second data (In 6 years baby will be 5 times younger than mother) gives: 5 * ( X + 6 ) = Y + 6.

Now, substituting the first equation into the second:

5 * (X + 6) = (X + 21) + 6

And, finally, solving X:

X = -3/4

Now, if a baby is -3/4 of year (i.e. -9 months), we can say, with maximum amount of certainty, that he is actually being born.

Given this fact, we can answer the question: father is on top or below mother (depending on positions), but definitely:

inside the mother  B)

L2S,

congrats.

I had to do all the math stuff to figure it out.

Looks like you have that kind of perception (actually intuition) that allows some people to reach correct conclusions faster than normal people.

Once, a professor of mines at university told me: "A genius is not that different from normal people...he's only faster".

Think this applies to shooting too...