Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.357 Sig Major?

Yar

Yes, it would qualify in Open as long as it made the 165powerfactor. BTW, Sig has always been allowed in open since it is not "9mm" or 9x19. The so-called ban on "Open 9" applied only to 9x19 loaded to old, then new-major and under a certain OAL (a length that coincidentally allowed it to fit in 1911 magazines but not fit in many foreign make guns like the Glock). Glad that the BOD directive has been rescinded - it was about time considering the number of off the shelf 9x19 loads that can meet new lower major.

Good point Flex! Yar: you only have 170mm to work with and the 9x23/38 Sup/TJ/9x21/9major crowd can fit 28 to 29 rounds in that same space. In shorter mags of equal length, the 9s will generally have an advantage as far as capacity. You might want to trade the .357 for something else as the basis of an open gun.

Yeah...I run into too many 24 round stages to make me comfortable with the reduced capacity of 357/40 in a 170mm tube.

I think 40 would be easier to load than 357 anyway (easier to get and use brass).

But...I'm drifting.

Yar, it is legal.

I'm just cuious. I do not own a .357 sig and was just wondering on it's suitability for a open gun platform. Which model glock would be the prefered platform for 9x21? The glock 20?

Yar,

The 9x21 or 9x19(Major) can be done with the small frame Glocks. There are 170mm mag extensions that will get you 28 rounds or better.

Major Open can be done with 40 or 357 in the small framed Glocks also. You just won't have the round capacity advantage.

The G20 would be the way to go with the 38 Super family (large framed Glock is needed for the OAL of the Super family of cartridges), but nobody makes 170mm mag extension for them. (The G21 is considered a poor choice because of the width of the 45 breech face.)