Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Budget mounting of a Millet DMS-1?

bp78

I've shot a grand total of 2 3Gun matches in the last year & half and both were small local matches. They're fun but I've got other hobbies and single-stacks to fund which will keep me from getting too wrapped up in the sport. I'd ask this question over on the ARF forums but don't want to sift through all the 'come EOTWAWKI you'll wish for a Colt + LaRue as the Zombies eat your family etc. etc.' :wacko:

I ordered a Millet DMS-1 when Midway had them onsale last month and plan to mount it on my 18" AR. The idea of spending more on a LaRue mount than the scope just doesn't sit well with me. I'm looking for budget mounting options. The two options I've come across so far are below:

YHM Extension + Warne Rings ~$70ish

http://www.talonarms.com/talonarms/index.p...products_id=283

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...leitemid=541244

Armalite Mount ~$95ish

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4112...cope_Mount.html

Any mounting suggestions appreciated, including ring height suggestions.

-bp

I don't think the Armalite will give you enough eye relief. I felt the same way, my buddy uses the SPR-E. I went with a RRA Scout mount for the eye relief, and Warne steel medium height rings. About $100 total. The advantage of the LaRue is it is quick detachable and then return to zero. My Scout mount is a little slower, using a screw driver, but it has returned to zero for me. I have heard, but have no experience, that the YHM mount is not as solid as the RRA Scout. It's price is right, though. As to height, I had Warne high, but switched to medium. Just right for me. The height of your riser/scout base will dictate what rings to get, though.

The armalite mt. will work fine. I have this setup on 1 of my ar's. You dont need as much eye relief with the Millett as you do the others so the mt is fin. Mt the scope in the mt with the angled portion forward and the slide the scope about 3/4 of the way forward in the mt, plus mt the mt. as far forward on the reciever as possible and it will work great.

Model 1 Sales has a one piece mount for $65. It looks like it gives you a bit of offset, and therefore some extra eye relief.

I've never seen this mount except on the Model 1 webpage and have no idea about the quality.

http://www.model1sales.com/item-detail.cfm...FTOKEN=70149512

I'm currently using the model mount. It's not the best cheap solution, but it isn't bad.

The mount not only uses the two screws as lugs, but also has a fixed lug between the two. On mine, I have aa FF tube with a top rail, and I basically mount it as far forward as i can using the fixed lug and rear screw to get it where it should be, and basically just tighten down the front screw enough toe grab on to the top rail.

With a previous setup using the simmons shotgun scope everyon bought on closeout, it held zero enough for a couple of matches a year, some side matches, and occasional plinking. And having the solution in one solid piece with an extra lug should make it even better.

THe YHM scope riser looks like it might work. The DMS-1 doesn't need to move that much more forward, but it does need to move forward further than a flat top upper will allow you to even tih the model 1 mount if you want to use a nose to the charging handle cheek weld.

The armalite mt. will work fine. I have this setup on 1 of my ar's. You dont need as much eye relief with the Millett as you do the others so the mt is fin. Mt the scope in the mt with the angled portion forward and the slide the scope about 3/4 of the way forward in the mt, plus mt the mt. as far forward on the reciever as possible and it will work great.

+1... and you can find the Armalite mount on sale sometimes, $50-$60

I went budget and used the Model 1 one piece mount for my Millet. If I ever step up and buy the Meopta I'll spend the cash for the LaRue. Until then I have just over $270 in mount, scope and shipping. The Model 1 mount has a offset and puts the scope at the right place for me.

Walt

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread, but I am going through this scope mount process right now myself for the millet DMS-1. The Larue is out of the question due to price, so I'm looking at the Armalite one peice, and this Burris.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-14263-2735-burris-a...cope-mount.aspx

Has anyone used this one yet? If so, how was it?

Try Gunbroker! I've found a 1" one piece mount on there thas quite similar to the Armalite/ B-square one but for less that $20 in th Ar parts Section. Hope that helps.

The millett is a 30mm scope so do not order a 1" one piece mount for it.

• 2 weeks later...

I just slapped a Millett in a new Burris PEPR mount. Seems to work well, and places the scope in the right spot.

As for the Armalite, I have several of them and they work great. I have a Meopta 1-4 in an Armalite on a DPMS carbine and it puts the scope at just the right place if you put the forward nut out over the forend. The built in lug will then go in the farthest forward slot on the flattop. You don't need a LaRue to mount the scope far enough forward. The only scope I've seen that needs a really extended mount is the Trijicon Accupoint TR-21.

Hmm, maybe for that price I could try one. It looks like it may be a bit taller than the Armalite. Do you know if it has a built in lug? If so, mounting it so the front nut is out over the handguard may be possible to get max eye relief. Without that lug all you would have to counter recoil is the rear screw shaft, and whatever side pressure is applied from tightening the nuts.