Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag extension lengths?

1911 rookie

Hi,

I ordered the +4 Choate extension from Brownells for my Supernova and I'm not sure if they sent me the right one. does anybody have a +4 that they can measure the length on? Mine is 8 1/4" but with the follower that Choate includes I only get 7. I replace the follower with the stock Benelli and now I get 8. The Choate follower is ice cream coned shape about 2 or 3" long that pokes up back through the center of the spring and the Benelli is a cap that fits over the spring and is just 3/4" long.

It seems to work and I'll shoot my first 3-gun match this weekend with it but I was curious if I received the right part. Please no suggestions to get a Nordic or DMW extension, I had a budget and this is what I got.

Thanks,

Jason

Hey Rookie,

I work for Nordic, won't tell you to get one. The Choate uses that blaze orange thing and it will restrict your maximum capacity. You can cut it down some or use the stock follower. The biggest problem you will have is where the 2 tubes meet. At that junction you may have some problems with the factory followers. That being said, try the factory one.....you'll know real quick after loading 5 shells if you are going to have problems. The good news is that benelli uses a pretty decent follower, so it should work. Some people have cut the leading point of the choate follower down to give them selves more room as well.

One thing you might want to take a look at is, the inside of the choate may or may not have a seam running down the inside, if you can smooth that out some, it will give you less wear and tear on your factory follower.

Hope this helps some.

Tim

PS.....seems like the length is right for a +4 extension, by the way.

Edited by TRUBL

looking here at work, the tube you have, may be a little short for spring life, but may work.....our +4's are in the 10" to 10.5" range. But I know that Super nova has a slightly longer factory tube, so you may get by.

Tim

I don't know about the Nova as much, but in a semi auto M1-M2 the quickest way to have the last shell left on the carrier while shooting is to use one of those "orange cones" This is the one place where a Factory Steel follower is MUCH better than the after market ones...except for the one made by a certain company ( see above). Those are the only two that I will run in a Benelli and righrt now both mine have the ( see above!) KurtM

Edited by kurtm

I have a Super Nova and a Nova. The Super has a mag extension that measures about 8 1/2 inches and gives me 8 rounds. The Nova's extension measures 11 inches, but I have a cut off plug in it to limit mag capacity to 8 rounds. I'm using the factory followers in both.