Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2008 Area 2 / Rio Salado Desert Classic - Mesa, AZ, Get your applicati

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there,

Anybody know what may be up for practice opportunites the week of A2 this year? I know about TNS and TNS* ( :rolleyes: ) but what about Wednesday? Last year, there was a match at the Scottsdale Gun Club. Anybody know if that will be repeated?

TIA,

Chuck

* Tuesday Night Steel and Thursday Night Steel

Depending how early you get to Phoenix we are doing a high round count match in Tucson Sunday the 2nd. 6 stages 250-300 rounds with a classifier. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=72176 It is about 1.5 hours from Phoenix.

Hi folks,

I was wondering if someone could answer a couple stage questions:

1) What is the blue thing at the end of stage 2?

2) Does stage 3 end prone?

Just wondering :rolleyes:

Later,

Chuck

The blue thing on Stage 2 appears to be a barrel stretched to go between walls.

Stage 3 ending , I cannot answer. It appears a possibility.

Hi there,

Anybody know what may be up for practice opportunites the week of A2 this year? I know about TNS and TNS* ( :rolleyes: ) but what about Wednesday? Last year, there was a match at the Scottsdale Gun Club. Anybody know if that will be repeated?

TIA,

Chuck

* Tuesday Night Steel and Thursday Night Steel

Depending how early you get to Phoenix we are doing a high round count match in Tucson Sunday the 2nd. 6 stages 250-300 rounds with a classifier. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=72176 It is about 1.5 hours from Phoenix.

Mark,

I had seen your announcement for this and it seems like it would be fun. Tuesday is already pushing it for me so moving my departure to Saturday would probably not work. A few years ago I was working a program that brought me to Ft. Huachuca monthly but that is now over so I can't come up with a good "work-related" reason to get out there that early! Enjoy the match!

Later,

Chuck

Can we look - check out the stages on the registration day? Thursday if I remember correctly?

thanks,

The staff, etc shoot on Thursday so you can look on a non-interfering basis after you register. That's how they did it last year.

Later,

Chuck

Can we look - check out the stages on the registration day? Thursday if I remember correctly?

thanks,

The staff, etc shoot on Thursday so you can look on a non-interfering basis after you register. That's how they did it last year.

Later,

Chuck

thank you Chuck

A little more info from an email....

To all Competitors, Staff, Vendors, Sponsors and Spectators... Below is an update to any previous confirmation you may have already received.

News and Updates - USPSA Area 2 / 21st Annual Rio Salado Desert Classic:

The USPSA Area 2 / 21st Annual Rio Salado Desert Classic will take place on November 6th through the 9th at the Rio Salado Sportsman’s Club in Mesa, Arizona. The Range address is 3960 N Usery Pass Rd, Mesa, AZ 85207. This year’s event is being presented by Caspian Arms, Ltd.

Registration will be open all day Thursday the 8th 10:00am – 6:00pm. Staff, ONLY, will be competing on this day. All other competitors will be participating in the event Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (November 7 – 9). Food for breakfast and lunch will be available on the range throughout the course of the event from our new vendor - “Chris’ Old West Barbeque”.

After you have checked in at Registration, you may use your Competitor’s ID badge to sight in your firearm at the Main Range. The Range Officer on duty will point you to the reserved benches for competitors of our event. You must wear protective eyewear and also ear protection at all times while on the range.

Rio Salado has a cold range policy; all guns are to be loaded only on the firing line under the direction of the Range Officer. Guns will be unloaded and holstered when competitors are on the range, except when the gun is taken out for checking, cleaning or dry firing in a designated safety area. These will be clearly marked with “Safety Area” signs. In these areas you will be able to carry out repairs, do practice draws and dry firing, or just show off your gun to your friends and fellow competitors. Do not handle live or dummy ammunition in any safety area! Magazines or speedloaders can be loaded at the stages or anywhere else, but not in the safety area.

Additional safety information will be provided in your match booklet. You are expected to review and understand all range rules. Any questions will be answered by the Range Master.

Schedule basics – Thursday is registration; Friday/Saturday/Sunday will be based on your squad number. Squadding information will be given to you at Registration. You will either start early Friday or early Saturday followed by a full day of competition on each day. Sunday is a half-day of competition; followed by final statistics posted and a one-hour protest period. Awards and prize table to follow.

Thursday Mandatory Registration for all competitors – from 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM

Friday Full Day – beginning at either 6:50 or 10:30 AM; ending at either 1:20 or 5:00 PM

Saturday Full Day – beginning at either 10:30 or 6:50 AM; ending at either 5:00 or 1:20 PM

Brownells Competitors’ Banquet 7:00 PM – pre-sale ticket are still available

Sunday Half Day – beginning at either 6:50 or 7:45 AM; ending at either 9:35 or 10:30 AM; stats posted by 12:00 noon; 1 hr. protest period; awards & prize table to end approx 4 – 5 PM

The event hotel information is posted on our web site http://www.riosaladodesertclassic.com/Hotels.aspx. Call direct 1-480-641-8000 and mention “Rio Salado Desert Classic” to receive our preferred rate.

If you have any event related questions, please call Paul Caudill (602) 989-1389 or Bob LaMarca (480) 251-9034. For registration questions or squadding requests, please contact Barbara (480) 234-2672.

E-mail inquiries can be sent to:

Paul Caudill – Match Director: pcaudill@cox.net

Bob LaMarca – Match Director: rlamarca@cox.net

Barbara LaMarca – Registration: rlamarca@cox.net

See you in November!

Regards,

Barbara LaMarca

Rio Salado Sportsman’s Club

Match Registration & Statistics

2008 Rio Salado Desert Classic - USPSA Area 2

So its getting close and I have a few questions regarding the Wednesday match at SGC and the Thursday match up at Ben Avery.

Is there a maximum number of shooters that can shoot the match at SGC and Ben Avery? I don't want to show up and be turned away due to having too many shooters. :(

What sort of match is at the Ben Avery range? All paper, paper and steel or all steel only?

TIA

So its getting close and I have a few questions regarding the Wednesday match at SGC and the Thursday match up at Ben Avery.

Is there a maximum number of shooters that can shoot the match at SGC and Ben Avery? I don't want to show up and be turned away due to having too many shooters. :(

What sort of match is at the Ben Avery range? All paper, paper and steel or all steel only?

TIA

Hiro,

The SGC match was pretty crowded but it went fairly smooth. I don't recall anyone getting turned away but I guess it could of happened. The CCL match at Ben Avery is (I think) a USPSA match.

See ya tomorrow,

Chuck

Edited by ChuckS

The thursday match at Ben Avery is a time off for A zone scoring. It starts at @ 1900 hours and you can sign up later than that as well. Steel and paper, box to box and static shooting. Also at Phoenix Rod and Gun on thursday @ 1700 hours steel match. Shoot Phx Rod and Gun, then head up to Ben Avery for their shoot. Thats what we have done in the past.

The thursday match at Ben Avery is a time off for A zone scoring. It starts at @ 1900 hours and you can sign up later than that as well. Steel and paper, box to box and static shooting. Also at Phoenix Rod and Gun on thursday @ 1700 hours steel match. Shoot Phx Rod and Gun, then head up to Ben Avery for their shoot. Thats what we have done in the past.

Thanks for clearing that up!

Later,

Chuck

What kind of match is the Phx Rod and Gun club match? Engage steel from within shooting area type match or is it mostly stand and shoot and box to box like Ben Avery?

I wouldn't mind doing both matches but I don't want to run my squad mates tired before the big match.

TIA

That re-directed me here:

44.2174,-69.9305

I've been told to go there before, but never knew the exact location!

TimE

That would be the incorrect place to register for the match but the lobster dinners may be nice. :rolleyes:

You may want to try this format:

+33° 29' 19.13", -111° 37' 22.47"

Hiro,

I have been told that Thursday Night Steel is run the same was as Tuesday Night Steel (TNS=TNS :rolleyes: ) Shooting area sort of match sort of like SSA without the sillyness. Rick B. shot it last year so you can talk to him on Saturday.

Later,

Chuck

Hi there,

The match that we run here at SGC generally doesn't have a maximum number of shooters. We generally have a cutoff time to register (Usually 6:00 but to be safe try to get here by 5:30 to 5:45) reason that we run a cutoff time is that we only have two full bays to run the 4 stages (3 stages and a classifier) We will run all the shooters on the first two, then turn over the stages and run the next two. If you are one of the first shooters on the first two stages you may have a bit of a break before the last two stages, but you can always walk around the store, harrass your friends etc.

We generally start shooting at 5:15 but if we can manage it we will try to fire the first shots a little earlier than that. As always it is $15.00 for non-members of the club and $12.00 for SGC members. Round count should be right about 100ish but alwys bring a few extra in case of a re-shoot, etc.

Any other questions feel free to PM or e-mail me and I will help you out anyway I can.

Tony