Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New mag doesn't fit in my Limited

Nemo

Maybe I'm confused but I thought all Elite Limited Tanfos are built on the large frame. Anyway, I only had three mags for my limited so went ahead and bought a factory 40 long (actually a 10mm) mag with Heninng's alupad, this one is to serve as the Barney/Oh Sh1t! mag.

I immediately wanted to check how the flat basepad would work with the Limited's magwell and to my surprise the mag would go in the gun only about half way and then get stuck. Put the calipers to it and one of the old ones for comparison and the new 10mm has the same width but is approximately 0.010 bigger, front to back. Anybody else had this happen? Is it possible the tube is out of spec that bad?

Before I send it back to Henning, anybody care to share Tanfo mag-tuning tricks?

THX,

There is most likely nothing wrong with the mag. The difference between 40 mags and 10mm mags is that the 10mm mags are LONGER to handle the longer round. You will have to modify your gun a small amount to make it work with both mags. Henning or Leo can tell you what to do. I believe it is the mag catch that needs a little work. Although IMHO it is not EASY to get the mag release out on a Tanfo. It is much easier on an STI type. I have not done it, so I will not go any further.

Maybe I'm confused but I thought all Elite Limited Tanfos are built on the large frame. Anyway, I only had three mags for my limited so went ahead and bought a factory 40 long (actually a 10mm) mag with Heninng's alupad, this one is to serve as the Barney/Oh Sh1t! mag.

I immediately wanted to check how the flat basepad would work with the Limited's magwell and to my surprise the mag would go in the gun only about half way and then get stuck. Put the calipers to it and one of the old ones for comparison and the new 10mm has the same width but is approximately 0.010 bigger, front to back. Anybody else had this happen? Is it possible the tube is out of spec that bad?

Before I send it back to Henning, anybody care to share Tanfo mag-tuning tricks?

THX,

Nemo check the mag release, I have had a few that were tight with some mags but not others.

Leo

I just blended mine a little and that fixed everything and have yet to have any problems since.

Edited by LeoHallak

Nemo check the mag release, I have had a few that were tight with some mags but not others.

Leo

I just blended mine a little and that fixed everything and have yet to have any problems since.

:wacko: Aww, shucks... :angry2: Since this gun is for my lefty son, yesterday I installed an ambi safety and reversed the mag release... Henning makes it look so easy in his videos. You need 4 hands to work on these guns. I'll go ahead and take a detailed look at what's binding that mag. Really not looking forward to another complete disassembly. :(

Seriously, thanks a lot Leo. :cheers: Tonight, if I spend more time than usual scratching my head, I may contact you for tech assist. B)

I'm using 10mm and 40S&W mags with my Limited. Actually have mostly 10mm mags. I think the diagnosis of the mag release is correct. On my 9mm Match, the mags wouldn't fully seat, so I had to massage them a little (filed the notch where they seat with the mag release) - all good now. I'm a lefty and love these guns!

~Mitch

Leo

:wacko: Aww, shucks... :angry2: Since this gun is for my lefty son, yesterday I installed an ambi safety and reversed the mag release... Henning makes it look so easy in his videos. You need 4 hands to work on these guns. I'll go ahead and take a detailed look at what's binding that mag. Really not looking forward to another complete disassembly. :(

Seriously, thanks a lot Leo. :cheers: Tonight, if I spend more time than usual scratching my head, I may contact you for tech assist. B)

Henning said you might want to check the magwell and the mag release.

Leo

Probably easiest way to trouble shoot it is take off the grips and the mag well and if its still sticking you will just have to clean up the mag release a little. Dont get too aggressive because it will booger up the magazine catches, dont ask me how i know that :)

Leo

Leo

Too be honest, I doubt it is the mags,...if it is follow the above advice.,....more than likely the mag release is causing the problems since you reversed it. When I reversed the mag release (I am a righty, but liked to use my trigger finger),...I ended up with mags not sticking, and the follower is prone to catch on the catch if you reverse the mag release. The problem went away when I put the mag back on the way god wanted it :rolleyes:

Edited by Mo Hepworth

:) OH HAPPY DAY... :)

The magwell was the culprit. Solution was very simple and now the mag inserts and drops free. The reversed mag catch has no effect.

Thank you all for the advice.

:cheers:

Hey

I called Leo from the LV airport so thanks for posting and getting Nemo on the right track.

The magwell issue with the two tabs is something that started happening sometime in 2007 when Tanfoglio possibly went to a new vendor or a slight change in the magwell came about. I reported to Massimo (tanfoglio) in person at the Europeans and asked him to get the mismatch magwell/frame fit fixed for future guns. Of course there is probably a lag until these are completely replaced by hopefully an updated magwell. When and if this will happen of course is another issue.

The mag release button is also too big in some frames. Easily fixed by taking the upper off, holding the mag release button in and filing it down until it is completely flush with the frame.

I've long thought about writing a Tech article about this topic.

Another future fix will of course be my perfectly made mag well that will go with the new contour grips...

Also, I had a great conversation with the factory at the Shot Show and my contour grips will hopefully soon replace the existing alu grips. This of course means that they will be legal for production division ! They've already received a set and will be submitting them for approval to eliminate any issues. I also had a long talk with John Amidon at the USPSA booth and since my grips follow the contour of the factory wood grips they will already be legal. Rules are hard to interpret which is why I consulted him. But when Tanfoglio have them approved any doubt will forever be erased.

I also had a long talk with John Amidon at the USPSA booth and since my grips follow the contour of the factory wood grips they will already be legal. Rules are hard to interpret which is why I consulted him. But when Tanfoglio have them approved any doubt will forever be erased.

Great news Henning. Hear anything about EAA bringing in Stock II's this year?? That would be a killer gun with a set of your grips on it :D

Rob

I will start making the small frame long grips for Stock II shortly. I've realized there is going to be quite a few different grips:

Standard Frame - Large: Long grips for Stock, Match, Steel Fullsize (AVAILABLE NOW IN BLACK & SATIN)

Standard Frame - Small: Long grips for Stock, Match, Steel Fullsize

Custom Frame - Large: Long grips for Stock II, Hunter, Limited Pro

Custom Frame - Small: Long grips for Stock II, Hunter, Limited Pro

Magwell Grips - Large: Gold Team, Limited, Stock, Stock II, Match, Hunter, Steel Fullsize

Magwell Grips - Small: Gold Team, Limited, Stock, Stock II, Match, Hunter, Steel Fullsize

(as long as you're using a magwell with these guns they'll fit)

So, all in all, 6 different style of grips. They will all have the same contour, but cut differently to accomodate either the straight standard frame, the custom frame which has a wider bottom piece or a short grip for a mag well.

Magwell, large grips will be next 2nd grip to become available.

The easiest way to pay is with credit card or paypal thru the shop. Email money transfers I don't see a reason to do? If so, help me understand why.

• 1 year later...
The mag release button is also too big in some frames. Easily fixed by taking the upper off, holding the mag release button in and filing it down until it is completely flush with the frame.

I have a new-to-me Witness Match chambered in .40 s&w. I was having trouble inserting a magazine without depressing the release. They would drop just fine, it was an insertion problem.

This tip was exactly what the Dr. ordered. It's smooth like warm butter now.

Thanks!

My problem was the magwell also, some dremeling with it and now the 10mm mags work pretty good. I also polished the mag body a bit. But still, every now and then they still seem to find the most inappropriate time to not drop free.. So, I prefer the .40 mag bodies. And to be honest, I don't see what problem the 10mm mag bodies fix.

• 4 weeks later...

I had the EXACT same problem! 10mm mags from henning would jam up less than half way into frame. I bought mine new in 2007 so the 'new' magwell that henning speaks of was certainly to blame. Took the dremel to it for some minor trimming and all was perfect after that.