Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Conflicted after Good Results

Seth

I finally had a good showing at our Monday nite IDPA-lite match and turned in a 3rd instead of a 10th. 1st thru 3rd were only separated by .9 of a second.

However, Instead of getting 15 site pictures on the first stage and 12 on the second stage, I pretty much just burned the barn down on all the near targets (7-10 yards) and only slowed down and saw a sight picture for the 3 headshots.

Shooting was more about muscle memory of knowing that the sights were on target just by virtue of feel and pulling the trigger, than 'calling shots' or getting a sight picture for each shot.

I feel like I betrayed the system, but was on 4 pts down total for the 2 stages and kept up with a solid A shooter.... Is that a sign of improvement or dumb luck?

When your timing is 'on' you can tear it up that way, go out next time and don't bring your best timing with you and it will get UGLY fast. To me it tells you that your index is solid, grip is good, and things like that. I think it is a sign of improvement, but kind of dangerous to continue.

I finally had a good showing at our Monday nite IDPA-lite match and turned in a 3rd instead of a 10th. 1st thru 3rd were only separated by .9 of a second.

Now, what would of happend if you had "spent the time" to avoid two -1's? You probably would of won the match <_<

I was on the gas just as hard as I thought I could be. I'm not sure what I saw, honestly, but it worked... I'm 100% certain that had I gotten a clearer sight picture I'd have run slower. But I'm kind of right between 'seeing what I need to see' and truly SEEING down the sights. I need a break thru --- I feel like I'm close but not there.

I was on the gas just as hard as I thought I could be. I'm not sure what I saw, honestly, but it worked... I'm 100% certain that had I gotten a clearer sight picture I'd have run slower. But I'm kind of right between 'seeing what I need to see' and truly SEEING down the sights. I need a break thru --- I feel like I'm close but not there.

IDPA is an accuracy game. You will always come out ahead if you take that extra 0.2 seconds to save that 0.5 second penalty!

Point taken. It felt good to run it hard, and my draw and index are really spot on from lots of dry fire, but I didn't quite feel it all come together.

I ran so fast, I have no clue what I was really looking at. Is that it working? or should it be more slo-mo?

There is over-aiming too. Which sounds like what you may have been doing before?

You don't want to spend any more...or any less...than it takes to see what you need to see to make an A-hit (-0)...and, call the shot.

Gotta call the shot. No matter how fast of slow the body is moving and shooting, the mind needs to be interested enough to observe what is going on.