Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A great achievement from IPSC Italy

Skywalker

Hi guys,

I'm delighted to inform you about this great achievement for IPSC Italy, that realized years of hard work from our B.o.D.

Here you are the translation of the bulletin IPSC Italy President, Mr. Franco Gussalli Beretta, published yesterday.

Dear members,

it's with immense pleasure that I can announce that the local branch of Olympic Committee (C.O.N.I., Comitato Olimpico Nazionale Italiano), during its 960th meeting held in January, 23rd, has resolved the inclusion of IPSC Italy and practical shooting in its special "Observatory for new sporting disciplines", effective february the 1st, 2008.

This is the very first and most important step towards the full recognition of "Associated Sporting Discipline", recognition that IPSC Italy strongly pursued since its foundation.

The "Observatory for new sporting disciplines" aims to observe, monitor and survey new sporting disciplines and their characteristics, defining a gradually progressive path that can bring them to be a full status member of C.O.N.I.

During this amount of time (approximately 2 years), C.O.N.I. throughout its qualified departments, will assist IPSC Italy on legal, normative, organizational and sporting/technical issues to easen the harmonization of actual IPSC Italy Organization/Structure with its statute and general principles of justice and antidoping policy.

In light of this great achievement, and trusting in full cooperation from all affiliated club presidents, B.o.D. members and athletes, IPSC Italy will proceed on the undertaken path with renewed leap.

With best wishes,

Franco Gussalli Beretta

This means that (locally) practical shooting has started its way towards being legally recognized (by the government) as a sporting federation just like football, basketball, volleyball and so on.

This is a great accomplishment - particularly considering the challenges facing IPSC in Denmark and Bulgaria where the government is trying to restrict or ban IPSC because they do not consider it a "sport." :cheers:

Hi guys,

This means that (locally) practical shooting has started its way towards being legally recognized (by the government) as a sporting federation just like football, basketball, volleyball and so on.

Hey...if we got that here in the states...we couldn't user steroids anymore. :lol::lol:

...Now we just need to get one set of rules through the world so that we can be seen for the sport we are. Congratulations

We have one set of rules already. For those people that want to shoot the international scene, there is IPSC. For the rest of us, there is USPSA. We have the best of both worlds here.

If IPSC gets Olympic acceptance that is a good thing. Just so long as IPSC remains IPSC. If IPSC becomes some sort of .22/airpistol stand and shoot, then run, then stand and shoot again, it wouldn't be IPSC and the win could be a loss.

I am happy for anyone that this move helps. I am just concerned about what we may have to give up.

All in all, so far it looks OK.

Jim

Thanks everybody!

Although this is the very first step, it's the result of years of hard work from our Federation.

We intend to show that practical shooting (as it is right now) is a true sport, that is run according to the highest safety standards that you can think of, and we want this to be officially recognized and accepted.

This is why we've been working so hard.

Bjorn,

that is one of our top priorities for the next future, as soon as we get some official acceptance. For the meantime I can offer several different solutions to let you shoot in Italy, just PM me. ;)

Shred,

thanks for your kind words. Hope to be able to meet you again in the future. :)