Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spacers for 9mm mag's

Lexor40cal

So I have read many topis and discussions on 9mm major and the topic of spacers in STI tubes regardless of tube length. It would seem there are different thought trains as to which is best.

Spacers or no spacers ths is the question?, your opinion is apprecaited!

I don't use any spacers for my 140 tuned mags from brazos and using 38 super followers and springs from grams. For my 170 I am using a spacer but I have to trim some from the back of the 9mm grams follower. OAL is 1.165 to 1.170. Hope this helps.

I have 5 STI 140s with spacers, an STI 170 with spacers and an SV 170 without spacers. They all function great with my load which uses a Montana Gold CMJ at 1.165. The spacers are steel.

Call Bevan Grams and ask him. HSMITH (Howard) may have found a way to "tune" STI mags for 9MM without spacers, have not asked Howard about that, BUT

STI must run spacers for 9 Major. OAL 1.175 or less. (Unless Howard has found a way)

SVI (without spacers) with Grams followers/springs run 100% unless there is operator error on the mags.

Edited by FullRace

I say run the steel spacers in everything and at least definitely the STI tubes. Of course I don't shoot open and only load to 1.14" too. You can run the spacers and still load as long as 1.175" before they start dragging the nose up the front of the tube. I don't care how you look at it. The 9mm is still a tapered case and no where near a straight walled 38 Super or SuperComp. they don't stack the same. Even 9mm single stack mags have to address the issue with spacers. I had some SV mags one time that ran flawless without spacers until I traded them to this jolly ol chap that I know. But now.......everything that I have that works for 9mm has spacers in them except for 2 SPS mags. But soon.....they will too.

I always hate to admit it but I have to agree with 00bullitt. Spacers are cheap and easy, put them in and forget about it.

Hey now.....you better be nice or I'll sic that little Russian on you.

Now that was Funny!

Edited by TruStreet