Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 PRIMING

I see that the 650 priming system is a rotary disc unlike the 550 sliding bar. My question is what do you do to get primers in the ready position before the cases get there?

I know it probably sounds trivial but there is nothing about it in dillons manual. It just says load cases and primers and pull handle.

I see that the 650 priming system is a rotary disc unlike the 550 sliding bar. My question is what do you do to get primers in the ready position before the cases get there?

I know it probably sounds trivial but there is nothing about it in dillons manual. It just says load cases and primers and pull handle.

You need to index handle a few times to get the primers fully loaded in the disk. You will also need to run a few strokes of the handle when you are finished to clear the cases from the press this will result in a few primers being ejected into the primer tray. I usually just hand remove them as I index the press, the primers are still good and I just put them back in the primer loading tube.

You need to index handle a few times to get the primers fully loaded in the disk. You will also need to run a few strokes of the handle when you are finished to clear the cases from the press this will result in a few primers being ejected into the primer tray. I usually just hand remove them as I index the press, the primers are still good and I just put them back in the primer loading tube.

The way my 650 works is you have your first primer over the punch after 8 pulls so what I do is pull the handle 6 times and then turn on the case feeder. Once there are a few cases in the tube you pull 2 more times and you have the first case primed. If you want to clear the wheel you have 11 primers left after the low primer signal fires.

Later,

Chuck

Edited by ChuckS

It takes 8 advances of the disk to get a primer on the priming punch. I take off the activating block off the frame when I set the powder measure so I don't advance the primers and start dumping them down the chute.

Neal in AZ

Likewise, when I want to cycle the press without feeding primers as when I am adjusting the powder charge, I remove the cam that operates the primer feed. The holes in the left side of the strong mount make a good place to store the two most used T-handle allen wrenches for this task.

Keith

Likewise, when I want to cycle the press without feeding primers as when I am adjusting the powder charge, I remove the cam that operates the primer feed. The holes in the left side of the strong mount make a good place to store the two most used T-handle allen wrenches for this task.

Keith

cycling the handle 6 times before turning on the case feeder worked great, the only think si I have gotten way to many sideways crushed primers. I am working on getting this corrected though.

As above after two strokes of the handle I have a deprimed case at station 2, I remove it manually index until a primer is above the seating mandrel and reinsert case and prime.

For the sideways primer, don’t forget there is an adjustment screw for the station 2 locator tab, the book calls for .010 between the tab and case. You might run a few with tolerances a little tighter and/or looser to see how the machine responds. With a little adjustment even S&B cases are no problem.