Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Skills, or Lack of Same

JThompson

What do you think the average shooter... say A/B needs to work on the most. I know it will very from person to person, but in general. What skill would you say is the most lacking in an A/B shooter?

Edited by JThompson

I have to say three. In a specific order.

1. Accuracy. Easy word to say but quite a few people don't "worry" about it and it catches up with them later.

2. Consistancy. DVc need to be brought out on every stage.

3. Understanding. How HF's, stage points,performance, mental aspects, time, etc. affect your match outcome.

I have to say three. In a specific order.

1. Accuracy. Easy word to say but quite a few people don't "worry" about it and it catches up with them later.

2. Consistancy. DVc need to be brought out on every stage.

3. Understanding. How HF's, stage points,performance, mental aspects, time, etc. affect your match outcome.

Yup- that sums it up pretty well! And the "Wanna-B-Speedy" stuff really goes a loooong way to help understanding it all. I can't wait for the new lesson from Flex! :)

For me, I have gotton a hold of the Accuracy- But my consistancy and mental aspects definitely need improvement. :wacko:

I am but a lowly B shooter...but I do know my shortcomings.

Consistancy!!! I shoot all over the map <_<

economy of motion and movement...I am MR snail

Stage breakdown..shooting SS this is critical...less pronounced in open...but still VERY important

My fundamental skills are adequate but need refining..and are sometimes overlooked :blink:

Jim

Most of my problems boil down to patience...the urge to "wanna-b-speedy" tends to take over!! I think that is a major step into breaking into the higher ranks of the classification and what separates the men from the boys. When surrendering to the urge to "go fast", I except a hasty sight picture (shooting at brown), don't call my shot well enough and eliminate followthrough! So all of the fundamentals of a good shot get put asside to merely try and go as fast as possible. I am accurate and consistant when I set my mind to it- but feel soooo slow when doing it. I wanna "feel" fast. But now I am learning that this is not necessarily making me any faster, just sloppy and inconsistant. To win the match, consistancy is King. One of my chief mistakes is trying to win every stage. Thus burning a few down in the process, and loosing the match overall.

Yeah...I agree.

As learned from Brian (for me)...the #1 thing that must be done is calling the shot...well.

I might go so far as to say that if a shooter doesn't have this aspect down 100%, then they shouldn't really work on anything else.

If a shooter can call the shot every time, then it will lead them into all other aspects of their shooting. If the feedback (calling) is there, then whatever the goal...the mind will know if the goal was achieved. From that information...and with a clear goal...the mind will direct the body toward the goal.

Everyone is talking about calling the shot. I understand what calling the shot is, but how do you work on it? Really, are there specific drills, or are you just checking your hit placement on all drills when you are pasting, which is what I have been doing. I have been doing more slow fire, but my movement has started to suffer some, the last match I shot was like a boat in 20' seas.

Thanks,

Jason

Everyone is talking about calling the shot. I understand what calling the shot is, but how do you work on it? Really, are there specific drills, or are you just checking your hit placement on all drills when you are pasting, which is what I have been doing. I have been doing more slow fire, but my movement has started to suffer some, the last match I shot was like a boat in 20' seas.

Thanks,

Jason

This should help- Travis Tomase shot calling video (along with others):

http://myoutdoortv.com/pdk/web/shooting.ht...u85cQQt0fFcjTQ_

Thanks,

Jason

This is a great question. The links above are both solid in terms of helping understand the how too's.

Shot calling is a science. It needs to be studied and perfected. The degree to which you hold yourself accountable to shot calling will dictate the degree that you become proficient at it.

It does truly boil down to being able to call your shots on target without seeing the bullet impact. And, for the sake of this discussion, it has to do with accomplishing that with speed. Shot calling in slow fire affords you the time to be able to observe uninterupted. Shooting at speed forces you to focus on those components that impact shot calling, and to read those things at speed in order to be able to determine where the shot went.

Travis' drill in there where he shoots two shots, paste's the target, then confirms against the real target is a great drill. I've contended for years on these forums that one paramount mistake in practicing shot calling is shooting too many shots on target before confirming what you're seeing. I believe two shots per target - then paste. Most shooters don't want to do this, it isn't fun wasting your time pasting targets every time. After all, we're bred to be efficient in this sport and practicing that way is not terribly efficient. Other than it does teach shot calling.

Still, by pasting after you just engaged a target (again - at speed) will teach you so much!!! You'll have those "ah hah" moments where you were "sure" it was an A but it turned out to be a D. Then you'll remember what you saw (versus what you wanted to see) and the correlation's will become reality. Then you'll not only be learning how what you see impacts what happens on target but you'll begin internalizing it, believing it, because it's right there in front of you. Indisputable! If you shoot 6, 8, or 10 shots then paste you're assuming certain things that may not be true. And you'll develop theories around shot calling that are unsubstantiated resulting in those times where you called the shot a hit, and yet it can't be found on the target.

Last comment. Shot calling is what you make of it. If you're goal is to shoot an A, and you learn shot calling to that degree, that's all you'll get. Again, in Travis's drill he marked very specifically where he called the shot. Mid-A and a little left. High A and a little right. That precision shows not only his proficiency at shot calling but also the degree that he believes it important to shooting well. We all miss a few call's here or there, but if Travis were shooting production he could move past that target with confidence both shot's were A's. If he didn't pay shot calling the attention he does, he'd know he hit the target, and he'd know that the shots were in the A/C zone. But he probably couldn't have been much more specific than that. The fact that they were both A's would likely have been a pleasant surprise. As good as he is at calling shots though, they were simply confirmation to what he already knew.

J

I am but a lowly B shooter...but I do know my shortcomings.

Consistancy!!! I shoot all over the map <_<

economy of motion and movement...I am MR snail

Stage breakdown..shooting SS this is critical...less pronounced in open...but still VERY important

My fundamental skills are adequate but need refining..and are sometimes overlooked :blink:

Jim

Could not agree more, Jim. Last Sunday, shot a 7 stage match. First three stage a little slow but solid stages. Next three, pace was better and solid scores. Last stage was tired and had 3 mikes on easy targets. Coulda, woulda, shouda, dropped me 3-4 places........Ticks me off but who am I gonna blame?

Shot Calling is very important. Everything you do in practice and matches can get you there. Its sort of like trigger control. Some people take 3 months, some 3 years and some never get it.

You work on it by paying attention. That and mastering the fundamentals of shooting cause its harder to call your shots if your platform is rockin like a boat. haha

BUT that really shouldn't matter if you are calling the shot.