Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ SP01 Phantom

race1911

Ummmm, I don't get it, what's the point. One reason to love the CZ is for the heft, feel and accuracy enhancing fit of a non-polymer frame. Unless it's tons cheaper than the regular CZs..... I mean, a CZ75b will run 450 retail....so...????

All this smack talk from a dedicated CZ lover....

Ummmm, I don't get it, what's the point. One reason to love the CZ is for the heft, feel and accuracy enhancing fit of a non-polymer frame. Unless it's tons cheaper than the regular CZs..... I mean, a CZ75b will run 450 retail....so...????

Well, the regular CZ's are nice, good ergos, decent balance, low bore axis, and they keep the reciprocal mass low. But some people like the lightness of a polymer frame. This version gets you that and makes the reciprocal mass even lower. I'm thinking one of these with a tungsten guide rod might be RALLY spiffy. Especially if it comes in cheaper than the regular sp-01 and you can get it with a good trigger job.

Load it up with some nice light 124gr loads and it could be one nice production gun.

Well, the regular CZ's are nice, good ergos, decent balance, low bore axis, and they keep the reciprocal mass low. But some people like the lightness of a polymer frame. This version gets you that and makes the reciprocal mass even lower. I'm thinking one of these with a tungsten guide rod might be RALLY spiffy. Especially if it comes in cheaper than the regular sp-01 and you can get it with a good trigger job.

Load it up with some nice light 124gr loads and it could be one nice production gun.

Hmmmm. Polymer frame to cut weight and then a tungsten guide rod to put it back? I am with blsexton on this, why? (Maybe I just like an all steel gun he thinks as he slips his Glock into his 007 Safariland and picks up his timer....)

Edited by Michael Carlin

You are thinking about this way too rationally. What probably happened was the VP of Sales says to the VP of Design "Everyone else has a polymer gun, we need a polymer gun!" The VP of Design says to his design team "Upper Management says we need a polymer gun ASAP". Over beers, the design team says "You know if we built a polymer SP01, all we would need to do is a frame, everything else could stay the same." So the Design Team tells the VP of Design "We have a solution, its cost effective and can be quickly implemented." The VP of Design tells the VP of Marketing "I have worked my staff hard and we have created a new, better polymer gun."

And so you have the SP01 Phantom.......

Yes, I have worked in the corporate world WAY TOO LONG!!!

Edited by JFlowers

Some people like a lighter smoother transitioning gun more than a heavy chunk of steel. Especially for Steel Challenge type matches. Then there would be the other market, LE/Military. The SP-01 was designed first as a duty weapon, not a play gun for IPSC. Would you rather tote around 40 some odd ounces of steel or almost a pound less.

40 some odd ounces? :P I carried my beast of a 1911 for duty for years. After shooting a couple of polymer frames in Prod and Ltd, I'll take the heft of my SP01 anyday to help with recoil. JFlowers is probably spot on regarding the evolution of it. Horrifically flawed logic IMO, but who am I? OTOH, it sure helps balance out the ugly scale with the CZ-100 on the other side.

Hmmmm. Polymer frame to cut weight and then a tungsten guide rod to put it back? I am with blsexton on this, why? (Maybe I just like an all steel gun he thinks as he slips his Glock into his 007 Safariland and picks up his timer....)

Well the tungsten guide rod might jsut be a matter of taste, I'd have to shoot it first. My only concern with it is that they might have put it on too much of a diet. The SP-01 is a nice gun, but like my baby eagle is a bit on the heavy side, and at least for me, if I get a little slppy at speed the sights tend to dip when it returns to battery. If you lighten the frame a lot, then like a lot of polymer guns you might have a bit too much mass riding in the slide. I suspect whit the cz design, a normal slide might be better than most of the other polymers as far as reciprocating weight. However, they trimmed it down, which is good on the reciprocating, but the hwole thing might be too light and thus a bit flippy. But if the sights return to the same place nice and quick, it's all good.

Just my inner speculations seeping out around the edges. I'd really like to meet one in person.

You are thinking about this way too rationally. What probably happened was the VP of Sales says to the VP of Design "Everyone else has a polymer gun, we need a polymer gun!" The VP of Design says to his design team "Upper Management says we need a polymer gun ASAP". Over beers, the design team says "You know if we built a polymer SP01, all we would need to do is a frame, everything else could stay the same." So the Design Team tells the VP of Design "We have a solution, its cost effective and can be quickly implemented." The VP of Design tells the VP of Marketing "I have worked my staff hard and we have created a new, better polymer gun."

Except the slides not the same. It looks like it has had a whole bunch of steel milled off the whole way down. Or, now that I look closer, possibly the slide is wider so they could do the slide inside rails thing with a polymer frame and then milled off the steel to get it to the same weight as a normal CZ slide. Either way it's new(ish) and not a parts bin part.

I love JFLowers idea, he must work at my company too......

I mean, it's like the VP of Development sat down one day and said "If I don't make something cool so I can get a promotion I will be stuck here forever, but If I 'develop' a polymer SP,,, then I'll get a resume bumper and the board will LOVE it......., by the time the compnay figures out it wown't sell, I'll be promoted out anyway..."

Except the slides not the same. It looks like it has had a whole bunch of steel milled off the whole way down. Or, now that I look closer, possibly the slide is wider so they could do the slide inside rails thing with a polymer frame and then milled off the steel to get it to the same weight as a normal CZ slide. Either way it's new(ish) and not a parts bin part.

It's kind of apple to oranges, but EAA does the same as their polymer frames are wider and so is their slides compared to their steel frame pistols.