Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best .45 ammo for single stack?

rvbgtr

Been shooting Winchester White Box, but have been told that it runs hot. Never chrono'd it, but that's what I've been told. I don't reload yet, and I'm looking for the best commercially available ammo for single stack major. Basically, softest shooting ammo that makes major that I can purchase. Thanks,

Been shooting Winchester White Box, but have been told that it runs hot. Never chrono'd it, but that's what I've been told. I don't reload yet, and I'm looking for the best commercially available ammo for single stack major. Basically, softest shooting ammo that makes major that I can purchase. Thanks,

American manufactured 230 grain is MAJOR +P. 830-850 fps. Never tried any 200 grain. Hard to find and expensive with a capital P. I do not think WWB 185 grain will make major.

Russian Wolf. I chrono'd this at 792 fps for 182 PF. That's not bad.

Serbian Monarch. I've heard that their 9mm is supper soft compared to other factory. Their 45 ACP 230 may be also. Just don't know.

It's all damn expensive. Learn to roll your own. It's fun.

In 2006 I chrono'd some WW white box and CCI Blazer (brass case) out of a friend's 5" barreled Kimber.

I averaged 10 rounds of each.

WW white box 230 grain FMJ: 844 FPS for 194.120 PF

CCI Blazer (brass case) 230 grain FMJ: 834 FPS for 191.820 PF

Since Major is only 165 PF, both loads make it with room to spare.

YMMV.

Save your brass.

Derek45 makes a very good point. If you are still buying Factory Ammo then you are shooting gauranteed "once-fired" brass, so why not keep it. Doesent cost any extra to pick it all up and take it home and put it in a coffee can for "some day". :)

Save your brass.

Derek45 makes a very good point. If you are still buying Factory Ammo then you are shooting gauranteed "once-fired" brass, so why not keep it. Doesent cost any extra to pick it all up and take it home and put it in a coffee can for "some day". :)

Once fired .45 is in demand. It frequently sells for $50 to 460 per 1000. If you are leaving it on the ground, its like leaving nickles laying all over the ground. I am not so rich that I just walk by dozens of nickles without bothering to pick them up. Reloading is certainly recommended. But if I had to buy 45 I'd look at S&B as it is so good, its used as the factory test ammo for CZ. Top quality ammo.

About 11 years ago I went to a gun show and found a Dillon SQDB with assessories at a price I couldn't refuse. I sold a gun, bought it and haven't looked back. Loading .45 is cheaper than buying factory. 9mm I'm not so sure, but I like my own ammo better anyway. I like the options open to the reloader. I am low budget also!

If you can afford the up front cost of a SDB, you will yield the best results with your own loads. And the SDBs go pretty cheap on here from time to time. I may be selling mine and upgrading to a 650 in the near future. I also plan on doing some testing of 10 of the bargain brands for informational purposes and to gain some once fired brass! Until this thread I was unaware of the lack of information of .45 ACP factory load information for USPSA competition. But that project is on hold 'til the weather is more suitable!

• 3 weeks later...

The best handload that I've ever tried on my single stacks was a 200 gr H&G with WW 231 powder. It was very accurate, and my friend would load me from 4.2 grs to 5+ grs of WW231 (target to combat loads). Too bad, he's been busy and stopped casting H&G bullets. WW231, Bullseye, and Unique are very scarce in the Philippines, and reloaders have to contend with ADI and Vihtavouri.

I was able to find that load in Bill Wilson's book of the .45 ACP. The pioneers of IPSC loved that load.

• 1 year later...

45ACP 185GR JHP MATCH AMU (Nosler Bullet) does anyone have any input on this ammo sold at Atlanta Arms And Ammo,I have never shot it but the word MATCH always makes me think I will shoot better :roflol:

shot my first ever match with 230gr WWB....that was fun, haha. I too would recommend the idea of saving brass even if you dont reload yet. You can save it for later when you may start (thats what I did) or sell it people like me who need more and then buy more factory ammo for yourself.

Have you tried looking at Atlanta Arms and Ammo? they sell reloaded ammo i believe meant to make major pf. worth a look for ya if you dont want to load your own just yet.

shot my first ever match with 230gr WWB....that was fun, haha. I too would recommend the idea of saving brass even if you dont reload yet. You can save it for later when you may start (thats what I did) or sell it people like me who need more and then buy more factory ammo for yourself.

Have you tried looking at Atlanta Arms and Ammo? they sell reloaded ammo i believe meant to make major pf. worth a look for ya if you dont want to load your own just yet.

Work up a load for your gun by looking on this forum and try to find a reloader local to you. By me, there is a guy who does reloads for a very resonable price. If you don't have anyone local, a good choice would be Atlanta Arms and Ammo.

http://atlantaarmsandammo.com/products.html