Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

100yrd accuarcy with 9mm ar?

TannerB

My Colt 9mm with Sabre defence upperreceiver and 16'' barrel and V-Tac handguard shoots at 110 yards (indoor range) of a bipod with factory 124 grs ammo and a EO tech about a 5 inch group.

Most of the matches here do not go beyond that distance so its good enough to shoot ipsc in the netherlands with it.

But it doesn't beat my .223 ever.......(except for ammo cost :cheers: there it saves my beer money :rolleyes: )

If you have a 5" group at 100 yards your looking at a 10" safe zone (5" one way and 5 the other) in my opinon a 5" group at 100 yards ain't gonna cut it. If you have a match that can only use 100 yards then the match director is probably going to put no shoots or head shot only targets to make you work for it a little more. In my opinion, and take it for what its worth, you need a 2" MOA rifle at least.

When there is a rifle match here its always one or two stages using the full 110 yards ,the other 4 or 5 stages are mostly on the 25 meter range.(we only shoot indoor here)

I haven't used ,my 9mm on a match yet,only my .223 JP but i do use it to train cheap in the ammo cost.

I am planning on using it on a match in march we have here where do not go beyond 70 yards.

I have a Rock river 9mm AR15 that I use in practice CQB

With Zero 125gr HP bullets loaded to major PF in pistol....It shoots QUITE well at 100yds.

But...the 9mm is a pure Blow back design..so it has a heavy bolt and buffer....That runs at a relitively low speed ...this makes the percieved recoil MORE than a 223

jim

I have a Rock river 9mm AR15 that I use in practice CQB

With Zero 125gr HP bullets loaded to major PF in pistol....It shoots QUITE well at 100yds.

But...the 9mm is a pure Blow back design..so it has a heavy bolt and buffer....That runs at a relitively low speed ...this makes the percieved recoil MORE than a 223

jim

Even with the weight of the rifle? I would have thought it would be less. Wait a minute, you shoot a JP open rifle right? How do you know what recoil is? :devil:

I run a Colt 6450 and with open sights I get 4 to 5 inch groups at 75 yards Im sure with maginfication it could do even better at 100 yards.

That is about what I could manage with my Colt upper and 115 Montana JHPs over a lot of N350. Same result with Hirtenberger L7A1. Turned out not to be that great of a 3gun rifle & I saved it for "carbine" shoots. Anything near 100 yards and I'd opt for a 5.56mm.

I run a Colt 6450 and with open sights I get 4 to 5 inch groups at 75 yards Im sure with maginfication it could do even better at 100 yards.

That is about what I could manage with my Colt upper and 115 Montana JHPs over a lot of N350. Same result with Hirtenberger L7A1. Turned out not to be that great of a 3gun rifle & I saved it for "carbine" shoots. Anything near 100 yards and I'd opt for a 5.56mm.

I definatly wouldn't use it for 3-gun just because of the recoil diferences. I can get back on target much quicker with DI rifle than a blow back. However I do use it to practice which helps the bank account quite a bit.