Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Crash on the Mill Tonight, Dang it!

ExtremeShot

Tonight I was trying to make a longer platform for my holster and I was almost finished when this happened. Dang I'm pissed. All I had to do was finished the bottom, cut a couple slots, and deburr it. The wife wasn't giving any sympathy so I'm telling you guys. Man this is maddening.

Darren

IMG_0246.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

Looks like there's enough meat left to take 5/8 endmill in from each end centered on the corner radius to take out the damaged area and still leave a center section. Maybe drive in 0.250 from each end.

The thin part sticking out doesn't take much of a load anyway. The pistol weight is supported by the trigger guard.

It could still look pretty cool. At least now you aren't following a plan anymore and are just chopping metal to have fun!

least it looks like you could save it.

The X-axis on one of my mills jumps pretty bad if you don't have it half locked while moving it. Jumped on me once, ruined the piece, broke the end mill, AND put a nice notch in my vice jaw.

Course, the newest one is probably from the mid 70's. Got 2 with DRO that are a little newer, but I just use those as jig bores, no cross cutting.

What the hell are you talking about ???

Sometimes a "little" mishap like this gives birth to a new "design feature". Think positive !!!

As I look at it, it looks like the "gouged area" is right in the area that I would have removed (using some hand files) a lot of material anyway, to lighten up the design. It doesn't seem to be in the way of your "muzzle stud", and the "rail" area is in the rear of the piece. If anything your end mill saved you some hand work. (LMAO) :rolleyes:

I assume you were going to do some hand filing and blending anyway ... right ??? So get to it and stop belly-aching !!! Looks good to me. (Just make sure that in the future ANY re-designs ARE pre-planned, and not accidental, Ok ??)

Hey not so bad, I just started using the mill at work and spent all MonDAY 'til 9:40 Monday NIGHT milling wirespool stands. I wish I would have had time for some fun work. Wish someone had some good books on milling compensators. I know we have the tooling and I don't really have to share this thing with anyone. The digital readouts are spot on and we have a respectable coolant sprayer.

Radical precision was so right and so funny, that guy cracks me up to no end! :lol: