Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buying over the Internet

I have only bought one used gun off the internet and it was listed as new coondition old stock. It was also as described. Like anything else buyer beware. On bigger websights usually there is feedback ratings. On this websight and others like it you can use time they have been around and other posters as references. On the big websights I usually use the gun listings to figure out the fair market value then shop locally with an idea of the going rate figureing an extra $50 for shipping and FFL cost over the listed price. Unless you are looking for collectible items it isnt very often you cant find local or at a gunshow, or from a reputable online dealer for about the same price or a little more than an unknown lister. You have to decide if buying from an unknown is worth the usually very minor savings.

Most sellers agree to a 3 day inspection period, but if you end up sending it back you will still be out quite a few bucks in shipping costs. I've only bought a couple and have the attitude that I am buying it good or bad. I think it is a chance you take.

Clint,

I'm like Joe4d, I have bought one gun off a gun action site and actually was very please when it exceeded my expectations. I think one key thing to look for, especially on a well know auction site is to check how many feedback listings they have. It's like Joe4d said, it shows they have been around awhile and also how happy their customers are with the products.

Ultimately, even though you may have recourse through an auction site, it's still "Let the buyer beware"

FWIW

dj

Reaearch the heck out of it, especially if it's big $-- If it's a custom gun, call the builder and verify they really built it versus somebody bolting their parts onto it. Look up the serial number if you can. Get good contact info for the seller and talk to them on the phone at least once.

That said, I've only bought a few online and they've all been good.

Other than getting as detailed pictures as possible; what do you do to ensure the used gun you find on the net is worth a poop?

I have bought a few guns off the net. I write them emails to get a feel for them and even call them on the phone. Even if the people are honest, buying any gun unseen is a huge risk. I would only do it if the savings were substantial.

I bought two handguns on Gunbroker.com last year and they were exactly as described and delivered promptly. No problems. Two very nice guns for nice prices.

I bought a new Para a few years back from a very nice seller.... and the gun was a complete POS. It was not the seller's fault, but if I had been able to look at the gun in person it would have taken me two nanoseconds to reject it. It really is a crapshoot and you have to take that into consideration.

Edited by bountyhunter

I've had many transactions with gun auctions. It will always be buyer beware but 99% of the time if you look closely at the pics, the description, and the sellers feedback, you will be ok. I only buy/sell guns that I am very familiar with.

I've only bought guns in "shipping to my FFL" involved transactions from members of this forum. Since I've been around almost since the place started, I've usually got a pretty good feel for who I'm dealing with, and that's generally more important that what the gun looks like....

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I did do gobs of research on both guns that I bought online before I bought them. I was well aware of the retail/new-to-near-new prices (which applied in my case) and had a chance to fire one of the two firearms in question beforehand (that belonged to a friend of mine). Again, both guns were top-notch, barely used, and one even had a custom magwell. Got two good deals on these. Maybe I was just lucky and all, but I DID do my homework on these items and also Google'd the sellers.

I've only bought guns in "shipping to my FFL" involved transactions from members of this forum. Since I've been around almost since the place started, I've usually got a pretty good feel for who I'm dealing with, and that's generally more important that what the gun looks like....

yep, about the best way is to deal with some place or someone who has a good reputation. I've only bought one gun via the net, and it was from an established BE member. Not sure I would risk it otherwise. CWPSA also comes to mind. I would have no heartache buying from a company that has buy-in to the shooting community and this forum. Ours is too small a community for shady dealings.

yep, about the best way is to deal with some place or someone who has a good reputation. I've only bought one gun via the net, and it was from an established BE member. Not sure I would risk it otherwise. CWPSA also comes to mind. I would have no heartache buying from a company that has buy-in to the shooting community and this forum. Ours is too small a community for shady dealings.

Like SA-Friday, I've only purchased one gun sight unseen via the net. It was from a BE member that posted several detailed pictures. Along with a couple e-mails, we visited on the phone. End result was a gun that I feel was much better than described.

I doubt I would ever buy one from an auction site unless it was something fairly rare that I really want for my collection. But then I would also realize I was taking on additional risk.

Dealing with a BE member though cuts down the risk of a bad transaction. Our fellow members are good folks.

Bill