Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

holster for action pistol

G-tar-man

Hi guys I'm new to the site but I've been reading as much as possible, and I've found tons of information. I didn't find exactly what I was looking for in regards to a holster. I'm 20 years old and I've just gotten interested in shooting pistols. I joined a local shooting range where they have NRA action pistol competitions about once a month. There aren't any other types of competitions such as USPSA, IPSC, or IDPA very close to me I don't believe. I've been shooting my Dad's beretta 92fs and I believe the next thing I need to buy would be a holster to practice drawing from. From reading, I'm pretty sure I want to buy the CR speed torque belt. I was looking at the Safariland 007 competition holster, the CR speed WSM2 (that's probably more than I want to spend), I've also read people like the blade tech DOH, and comptac holsters. But is there a certain holster you could recommend over another, or is it all about preference? Also, will I need magazine pouches for NRA action pistol or can I just place the magazines in my shooting bag and take it with me? I'm also waiting for the i-shot pro shooter bags to come back out, they look really nice. I wasn't sure if this was the right place for the question, since there is a section specifically for the bianchi cup, but there didn't seem to be any recent posts there.

Thanks for the help

Chad

A good belt and holster are a must. Mag pouches are your choice, especially if you're only firing the 4 championship events (barricade, mover, practical and plates). I keep a couple on because I don't like bending over to put in new mags.

A "speed" holster isn't necessary, but saying that I use one. You can, however, do just great with kydex or plastic holster like Ky-tac or Uncle Mikes. If I was looking at a holster, what I'm really interested in is how clean I grab and draw the gun on the portions of the match with relatively short times (10 yds). If I can get a clean presentation in the required times and at those distances, the rest will be easy. I'd look really hard at a belt holster from Safariland, Ky-tac, Blade Tech or Uncle Mikes before looking at a speed holster.

Belts - I like and use Safariland. Lots of people like CR Speed. Both are really good and you'll do fine with either.

Hi guys I'm new to the site but I've been reading as much as possible, and I've found tons of information. I didn't find exactly what I was looking for in regards to a holster. I'm 20 years old and I've just gotten interested in shooting pistols. I joined a local shooting range where they have NRA action pistol competitions about once a month. There aren't any other types of competitions such as USPSA, IPSC, or IDPA very close to me I don't believe. I've been shooting my Dad's beretta 92fs and I believe the next thing I need to buy would be a holster to practice drawing from. From reading, I'm pretty sure I want to buy the CR speed torque belt. I was looking at the Safariland 007 competition holster, the CR speed WSM2 (that's probably more than I want to spend), I've also read people like the blade tech DOH, and comptac holsters. But is there a certain holster you could recommend over another, or is it all about preference? Also, will I need magazine pouches for NRA action pistol or can I just place the magazines in my shooting bag and take it with me? I'm also waiting for the i-shot pro shooter bags to come back out, they look really nice. I wasn't sure if this was the right place for the question, since there is a section specifically for the bianchi cup, but there didn't seem to be any recent posts there.

Thanks for the help

Chad

I actually shoot the same gun in IDPA and I use a Blackhawk CQC Level 1 holster in carbon fiber finish. It is very secure and plenty fast for draws at a good price. Check out the Blackhawk website if you want to see what it looks like.

If it's within the rules, it's pretty hard to beat a Blade-tech DOH. Good retention, and it's as

fast or REALLY close to as fast as a CR Speed. My personal preference is to rotate it about

one hole muzzle forward----so the backstrap of the gun is parallel with the top of the belt.

Some like it straight up, some a little bit muzzle to the rear. It's got lots of adjustment.

Thanks a lot guys. I think I'll look for the blade tech DOM with the CR speed belt. I think I'm going to hold off on the magazine pouches for now, but while I'm asking questions, what brand would you recommend for the magazine pouches? And I guess I should get 3?

sslav, I noticed there are about 4 or 5 places around me but all are about and hour away. I see you live in NJ, do you ever go to the York competitions?

Like most have said holsters are a personal choice and the DOH, Blackhawk CQC, and Kydex are all good holsters and do not need special belts. If you will be trying out USPSA and IDPA select a holster that will be within the rules for both sports with the type of hand gun you have which the above do. You will not be able to use the 007 for IDPA or some divisions in USPSA.

I would not spend a lot of money at this point untill you decide which game will do most and even if you will stay with the same gun. Shoot what you have and build equipment as you go.

There are few USPSA/IDPA within a hour or so of you location. The York Club hosts one of the best matches of the summer in July.

Enjoy website and have fun.

Chad,

Lots of spot on advice.

That USPSA club at York is top notch too, I believe.

You don't really want the 007 or the CR Speed for your Beretta. If you do shoot USPSA, your gun fits great in Production division, but those holsters don't. The Blade-tech or comptac would be great. You really only need a $15 Uncle Mike's.

sslav, I noticed there are about 4 or 5 places around me but all are about and hour away. I see you live in NJ, do you ever go to the York competitions?

Not yet. But I will be going to Summer Blast this year.

Slav

I think that the best deal is Blade Tech's competition package. Holster, Drop and offset attachment and a double mag pouch for $95.00. Check out their website. www.blade-tech.com/specials

That looks like a good deal, one question though. The one drop down bar says attachment and the option is 1.5 SR loop and 1.75 SR loop, is that the belt size?

I think that the best deal is Blade Tech's competition package. Holster, Drop and offset attachment and a double mag pouch for $95.00. Check out their website. www.blade-tech.com/specials

That looks like a good deal, one question though. The one drop down bar says attachment and the option is 1.5 SR loop and 1.75 SR loop, is that the belt size?

That's correct, and the CR Speed belt is 1.5". You can also get a Comp-Tac 1.5" belt or a Wilson Combat 1.5 belt. or any other quality thick belt. Both or leather and will work great with the Blade-Tech holster and both or legal for IDPA if you are going to shoot that as well.

The CR Speed belt is not legal for IDPA. I use the CR Speed for USPSA and the Comp-Tac or Wilson belts for IDPA, but you certainly would not have to. A good thick leather belt would work just fine for USPSA as well.

The CR Speed is just really convenient because you can take off the outer belt which holds your holster and mag pouches and still have the inner belt on to hold up your pants.

Edited by baerburtchell

Thanks a lot guys. I think I'll look for the blade tech DOM with the CR speed belt. I think I'm going to hold off on the magazine pouches for now, but while I'm asking questions, what brand would you recommend for the magazine pouches? And I guess I should get 3?

It's not uncommon for shooters to drive an hour and a half to a match. You have a bunch around you. I drive from south of Andrews AFB, MD to the York matches and another just outside of Phili. Hell, a group of us are car pooling to NC for a match this saturday. It's just worth it that much. Come out and watch a match. Ask questions about the gear and shooting while you are there. It's an inexpensive way to figure out if (when) you want to shoot USPSA.

CR Speed belt, Blade-Tech competition set, and a second double pouch, 5 mags and you are set.

Alright, sounds good and thanks a lot for everyone's help. I think I'm going to watch the next action pistol competition at my shooting range, and then I'll sign up for the one after that. I still need a lot of practice. Thanks again

Another club you might want to check out is just east of Harrisburg, in Palmyra. Here is their link www.palmyrasportsmens.com. You especially will want to check out their big steel shoot, the PSA shootout, in April. Their is a thread about it in the match section.

I have found that a decent 'budget' setup that you won't quickly outgrow is:

-Blade Tech DOH holster - you can take off the DOH bracket to be IDPA legal - I prefer SR loops, but the Tek-Lok isn't bad either. Cheap holsters work ok, but a funky draw can mess up your whole stage. Easy to reach Kydex can let you get a nice grip and a smooth draw. The cheap injection molded hoslter sometimes have wierd retention characteristics and can 'lock-up' if you pull on them at less than a perfect angle. Blade Tech's Kydex just pulls out so smooth...

-Injection Molded double mag pouches - they're much cheaper than Kydex (~$15 for a double) - grab 2 of them. I've been using both Balde Tech's and Uncle Mikes, just make sure your mags fit in them properly and they won't slow you down a bit (not comparing them to the really nice racey pouches here).

-CR Speed belts - they're widely considered the best/favorite at the top, and they're cheap enough that most of us can afford them.

That belt and holster will also retain some nice resale value if you decide to go another route. All said and done, that whole setup should run you about $160 at most.

G-Tar-Man,

The Chambersburg Club is a good one for NRA AP. I live in No. Va. and I joined Chambersburg!

George Martin, Gary and Marty Curfmann are great guys and they are very active in NRA AP there.

Martin :cheers:

Well nice to meet you. I know Marty pretty well so I joined the Chambersburg club also. Are you going to the shoot in February?

I have found that a decent 'budget' setup that you won't quickly outgrow is:

-Blade Tech DOH holster - you can take off the DOH bracket to be IDPA legal - I prefer SR loops, but the Tek-Lok isn't bad either. Cheap holsters work ok, but a funky draw can mess up your whole stage. Easy to reach Kydex can let you get a nice grip and a smooth draw. The cheap injection molded hoslter sometimes have wierd retention characteristics and can 'lock-up' if you pull on them at less than a perfect angle. Blade Tech's Kydex just pulls out so smooth...

-Injection Molded double mag pouches - they're much cheaper than Kydex (~$15 for a double) - grab 2 of them. I've been using both Balde Tech's and Uncle Mikes, just make sure your mags fit in them properly and they won't slow you down a bit (not comparing them to the really nice racey pouches here).

-CR Speed belts - they're widely considered the best/favorite at the top, and they're cheap enough that most of us can afford them.

That belt and holster will also retain some nice resale value if you decide to go another route. All said and done, that whole setup should run you about $160 at most.

I ordered the CR speed belt, and the blade-tech DOH special Wednesday night. They said it could take up to a month to ship, but I'm looking forward to getting it in.