Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ramshot Competition for .45

I did a search, can't find what I am after for this powder. I have some of this powder and I was wondering about using it for 230 RN lead. I know it is fast, in the VV N320 range. Do any of you use this powder? What load data can you share?

Thank you

I did a search, can't find what I am after for this powder. I have some of this powder and I was wondering about using it for 230 RN lead. I know it is fast, in the VV N320 range. Do any of you use this powder? What load data can you share?

Thank you

Although I haven't used Ramshot Competitiom yet-from my research,and factory info,bullets in the 200gr weight range could start out with 3.8grs and work up from there.It would probably be OK to start out with 3.8g with a 230 gn bullet also.For target shooting 4.2g/200SWC seems to be the optimum area.

Ramshot competition is like 320, but its not...

Remember that the 45 is a low pressure round.

It develops full pressure much faster than 320. I had a very hard time making major in .45 using 320. For some reason, it does not cause the cases to expand and seal the chamber, so I got lots of blowby gases and less velocity. The Ramshot, on the other hand, had 100% seal at lower charges and made major.

After you shoot either one, measure the spent cases and you will see what I mean. Ramshot will be fully expanded and 320 will not.

I do use 4.6 Ramshot Comp with 200 grain Moly bullet, about 174 PF. With the 320, 4.8 load made 142 PF.

Ramshot is just as clean and just as soft, imho. I do like Clays best with .45 by the way.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Shay1911

Thanks to all who replied. I decided to get some Ramshot Comp because of the strong reccomendation from the Masterblaster guys and the good price I found. There just isn't much info on it. After Dillon sends me a new lever for my press I'll do some experiments. I'll start with 3.8gr. under my 230gr LRN's.