Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bulged 9mm

OK, I have spent quite some time in the search function reading up on the bulged cases and how to get rid of them. But I couldn't find what I was looking for.

I have a SDB in 9x19mm and I load 9mm minor for my stock Glock 17.

Lately I get a lot (15%) of rounds that will not fit the chamber. The rounds have a ring/buldge at the bottom of the case (about 0.1" wide) that doesn't seem to get sized.

I acutally get Failures to Extract when these out of spec rounds end up in my magazine after the first shot. It takes a lot of force with a squib rod to get them out. My extractor can't get them out. It will damage the rim before it extracts and slip over.

Now I have a feeling it has something to do with some 9mm major brass that I pick up at the range (I shoot with a couple of guys that shoot 9mm major), combined with my SDB not fully sizing.

I have looked at solutions, but the only ones given here are either roll sizing or the EGW U-Die (which doesn't fit the SDB).

I wonder if anyone has ever modified their SDB to get the sizer lower (adding rings to the top of the die and/or grinding the die down to the sizer ring). There's still a lot of light between the die and the shellholder when the ram is up, so I figured I could win some there.

Any suggestions to get rid of this problem are welcome.

Bjorn, you nailed it. I would turn down the die, unless it has a carbide insert. I dont remember what the SDB has...It may still not be enough though. Quick and dirty would be to set up a single stage or a friends 650 and get a Lee 9x19 die and see if that takes care of it, so you can process the brass.....

Good luck,

DougC

Any suggestions to get rid of this problem are welcome.

Given the fact that the SDB can only accept its peculiar set of dies, I'd say that I would buy an inexpensive single stage press, install on it an EGW undersized resizer die, and would process all cleaned brass before loading them.

Thanks guys, I was afraid of that. I'll try the rings to get the die lower first.

If this doesn't work, I'll upgrade to another press. Shame the SDB can't handle it. It's my favourite Dillon press.

As stated, I would check around and find a old single stage press and set it up with the Lee die. Once the brass has been processed, you can run it in you SDB without problems. If you like the SDB, keep using it.

One of our local gun stores usually has a couple of used single stage presses that he sells cheap. Check you local stores.

I find that the Lee die slows my 550 & 650 down and I am going to set up a single stage to process all of my range brass.

Good luck, Buddy

Started to have the same problem loading on my 550.

Possible solutions:

Roll size the brass first.

Undersize the brass first, like I do with 40's (Size/deprime on station 1, undersize on station 3, nothing on 2 and 4)

the throw it all back into the hopper and load. A very smooth process by the way.

Grind a little off the sizing die where it flares out for easier feeding so that it sizes further down the brass.

(I think I remember a thread on this, this might have been Flex's solution.)

No great solution sticks out as the obvious choice. Time is always the factor.

Started to have the same problem loading on my 550.

Possible solutions:

Roll size the brass first.

Undersize the brass first, like I do with 40's (Size/deprime on station 1, undersize on station 3, nothing on 2 and 4)

the throw it all back into the hopper and load. A very smooth process by the way.

Grind a little off the sizing die where it flares out for easier feeding so that it sizes further down the brass.

(I think I remember a thread on this, this might have been Flex's solution.)

No great solution sticks out as the obvious choice. Time is always the factor.

You're using a Lee/EGW U-die on your 550 and still having a problem? You really shouldn't have to run cases through the press twice with two different setups. You should be able to just have the U-die on station 1 and go from there. It will increase the lever effort a little, but adding a touch of case lube should ease that to the point it's not a big deal. R,

You have to really use a lot of range brass to make that "The Answer" pay off.

The one I'm setting up is less than $100 and works extremely well, even though a bit slower. I'll use a EGW die @ $22.00 for each caliber (9 or 40), an old single stage, a two dollar bucket from Wal-Mart to drop the sized brass in and I'm done.

I guess if you are using a Glock or something like that you would have to under-size them each time.

I did it some time back and thought it would work better and faster on my 650. I think it slowed my 650 too much and I'm going to set it back up and run any brass from outside sources through the single stage. The regular dies work fine after the belly has been removed the first time.

Buddy

I probably have a much easier answer for you. First, clear all cases from the shellplate. Now put a fired piece of brass in station 1 and pull the handle down.

Does the bottom of the size die contact the top of the shellplate? If not, then the blue plastic friction plate is worn out and needds to be replaced. This blue plastic plate has several compression bumps that hold the size die down under pressure. After LOTS of use, they lose their elasticity, and no longer hold the size die down completely. :ph34r:

Well, I made an effort to be technical and I think it worked :)

What did I do:

1) I did what Hoofy said and ground a bit of the bottom of the die, making the sizing ring (almost) flush with the steel outside. I made sure there's just the slightest bit of steel to get between the sizing ring and the shellplate after hearing stories of crackes sizing rings.

2) I took the plastic toolhead off and put a little brass ring on top of the sizing die. Between the sizing die and the toolhead. This results in the die not moving upwards when a case is inserted.

Observations:

Before inserting the ring, I noticed the sizing die can move up and down when the ram is down. It's kind of loose.

After I installed the ring, the die couldn't move when the ram was down.

The weird thing is that when there's no case in station 1 and the ram is up, the die still can't move and touches the shellplate. But when a case is inserted and the ram is up, there's about 0.1" (maybe a little more) of space between the shellplate and the die.... ???

The good stuff:

Station 1 sizes the brass lower. But there's still a small ring it doesn't size.

I unloaded some cases that wouldn't chamber. First I tried it in the chamber and then ran the brass through station 1. I tried again and most of the cases now fit!

So I managed to make the SDB size better (more). But I still don't like that it doesn't size all the way.

Benny, thanks for the link. That casepro looks great and fast too! But if I'm going to spend $600+ for a rollsizer, I'd rather get a 1050 with a EGW U-Die ;)

I probably have a much easier answer for you. First, clear all cases from the shellplate. Now put a fired piece of brass in station 1 and pull the handle down.

Does the bottom of the size die contact the top of the shellplate? If not, then the blue plastic friction plate is worn out and needds to be replaced. This blue plastic plate has several compression bumps that hold the size die down under pressure. After LOTS of use, they lose their elasticity, and no longer hold the size die down completely. :ph34r:

Dillon, thanks for the reply. It's great to have a Dillon official on these forums!

I somehow started posting and submitted later, not reading your post before I submitted.

I looked at the blue plate and yes, the blue bumps look a little dented/worn.

The die still touches the shellplate when it's down, but it can move up and down a little without a case. Is it supposed to?

After I put the brass ring on top, the die is solid a hell, touches the shellplate without a case, but strangely enough, when a case is in the die there's still light between the die and the shellplate.

So the short anser to you question is "no, the die doesn't touch the shellplate when a case is inserted".

I wonder if the blue plate will help, because the die is rock solid when the ring is on top of it and it feels like it can't get any tighter.

Edited by spook

Dillon, thanks for the reply. It's great to have a Dillon official on these forums!

I somehow started posting and submitted later, not reading your post before I submitted.

The die still touches the shellplate when it's down, but it can move up and down a little without a case. Is it supposed to?

After I put the brass ring on top, the die is solid a hell, touches the shellplate without a case, but strangely enough, when a case is in the die there's still light between the die and the shellplate.

So the short anser to you question is "no, the die doesn't touch the shellplate when a case is inserted".

I wonder if the blue plate will help, because the die is rock solid when the ring is on top of it and it feels like it can't get any tighter.

Spook,

With a piece of brass in station one and the handle pulled down, the die should contact the top of the shellplate. Send me your name & address information, and I will send a replacement friction plate to you. :ph34r:

Spook,

With a piece of brass in station one and the handle pulled down, the die should contact the top of the shellplate. Send me your name & address information, and I will send a replacement friction plate to you. :ph34r:

Wow! Great service as always :cheers:

PM sent.

This will also help.

#1 use case lube - Helps you get the case in further

#2 Make sure the press is not flexing when you pull down the arm. I use a 2 x 4 directly under the press to the floor for rock solid support.

By doing this, I have not had a case not chamber from my SDB in 3 years.

Thanks for the tips guys :)

Wide45, you're right. But I am shooting with those guys at the same night, and it is too much work to sort out the 9mm brass. Besisdes, I just shoot 130PF loads with that brass ;)

Toddrod. I already lube the cases, but excellent tip on the 2x4! :cheers: I'll get one today.

Merlin, that's a bummer. Now I have no reason at all to get myself a 1050 ;)

Hello: Merlin is incorrect. The "U" does size the case lower than the SDB. The "U" is also smaller in diameter than the SDB die. I would get a single stage press and use the "U" die in it. Then load on your SDB. I used to do this before I bought a 1050. We don't have any 9mm major shooters here but lots of Glock 40 shooters. I would size the 40 brass on the single stage then load on the SDB. It worked perfect. NO you can feel good about buying a 1050 with a "U" die. Sorry Merlin ;-) Thanks, Eric

• 1 month later...
Hello: Merlin is incorrect. The "U" does size the case lower than the SDB. The "U" is also smaller in diameter than the SDB die. I would get a single stage press and use the "U" die in it. Then load on your SDB. I used to do this before I bought a 1050. We don't have any 9mm major shooters here but lots of Glock 40 shooters. I would size the 40 brass on the single stage then load on the SDB. It worked perfect. NO you can feel good about buying a 1050 with a "U" die. Sorry Merlin ;-) Thanks, Eric

It sounds like a solution's already been found, but here's what I did to fix this problem:

I bought a used SDB to load 9mm. I knew about the Glock brass issue and had ground down my RCBS sizing die to fully size the cases. With the original sizing die that came with the SDB, I wasn't getting the cases sized down enough. After a few measurements and a call to Dillon, I had a new sizing die for my SDB which now sizes the cases down enough.

Try replacing the Dillon SDB sizing die and see if it fixes your problem.

Allan