Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
JerryDGeek

"Encoded Ammunition" laws in Illinois and Indiana

Last year, California passed a "Microstamping" law which required all ammunition to be encoded with serial numbers -- supposedly, to help police catch bad guys. Actual purpose: to make it too expensive for shooters to buy ammunition, to forbid reloading your own ammunition, and to ultimately impose draconian gun control laws.

This month both Illinois and Indiana State Legislatures have proposed similar laws, titled "Encoded Ammunition". The text of the bills are eerily reminiscent of the California bill which was enacted.

Features of these bills include a five-cent tax on every round of ammunition (no exclusion for .22 rimfire- adding $25 to every 500-round brick), a de facto requirement that everyone who buys ammunition is registered with The State, and (implicit in the context of the bill) such severe and insupportable regulations that ammunition manufacturers will be unable to comply with the restrictions.

Details and links available at Cogito Ergo Geek:

http://jerrythegeek.blogspot.com/2008/01/e...s-illinois.html

The NRA, as of this date, has absolutely no reference to these bills as 'Alerts' or 'Issues'.

The NRA won't tell you about this. But I will.

:surprise: wow. a lot of those bills look exactly like some of the laws here in kalifornia.

Hope this doesn't happen for you guys but if it does it will probably be here in WI soon.

HB 1260 in Indiana that covers this is no longer being considered. It seems that property taxes and gay marriage were more important.

HB 1260 in Indiana that covers this is no longer being considered. It seems that property taxes and gay marriage were more important.

Glad to hear it Dave. I never thought I would be in favor of gay marriage, but in this case.... :P

Hey Guys,

This is not "microstamping". Microstamping is when the gun marks the ammo when used. These bills are for the manufacturer of the ammo to serialize the ammo. It has to be done at the bullet manufacturer. This was proposed in Ca but went away for some reason. The $0.05 fee was tried also but since it was advertised as a way to fund "gun violence related issues" it was stopped as a back door tax.

Later,

Chuck

:surprise: wow. a lot of those bills look exactly like some of the laws here in kalifornia.

No surprise there. This IS the breeding ground for it.

I guess If I were an ammo manufacturer I would tell them that I would no longer sell ammunition to ANY state or local entity of those states, and sell to the regular population until the law took effect. We all saw what the lack of raw materials did to L.E. training in the U.S. heck even the Wall street Journal had a story about it. Now the ammo manufacturers could just quit selling to them all together. That might turn these clowns around....except all this is just wishful thinking! KURTM

This is like some surreal nightmare. I am dreading the elections this year.

I guess If I were an ammo manufacturer I would tell them that I would no longer sell ammunition to ANY state or local entity of those states, and sell to the regular population until the law took effect. We all saw what the lack of raw materials did to L.E. training in the U.S. heck even the Wall street Journal had a story about it. Now the ammo manufacturers could just quit selling to them all together. That might turn these clowns around....except all this is just wishful thinking! KURTM

It would be nice if all gun and ammunition manufacturers had the Barrett attitude.

A F%^$kin men!!!! Ronnie had it down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! KURTM

If this crap passes it would be the end of our sport in Illinois and Ind.

Read my last post - it is not longer being considered in Indiana. And, if it does happen in the PRI, we've got more than enough room on this side of the border ;) .

If this crap passes it would be the end of our sport in Illinois and Ind.

Read my last post - it is not longer being considered in Indiana. And, if it does happen in the PRI, we've got more than enough room on this side of the border ;) .

Ahhh but it will be back in a new form after being modified in such a way that it is now acceptable to the special interest groups that killed it this time.

Or acceptable to the politicians who will say, do, or vote for ANYTHING as long as it gets them another term, because that's ALL ANY OF THEM care about. All issues take a back seat to re-election.

A State Senator from Alabama recently introduce similar legislation. Several folks in our club, and others I'm sure, wrote to our congress-critters protesting it.

I got an email this morning reporting that it had been dropped for this year.

Here is a article about it.

Alabama microstamping

I scared it's only a matter of time and would love to be wrong.

fwiw

dj

Last year, California passed a "Microstamping" law which required all ammunition to be encoded with serial numbers -- supposedly, to help police catch bad guys. Actual purpose: to make it too expensive for shooters to buy ammunition, to forbid reloading your own ammunition, and to ultimately impose draconian gun control laws.

This month both Illinois and Indiana State Legislatures have proposed similar laws, titled "Encoded Ammunition". The text of the bills are eerily reminiscent of the California bill which was enacted.

Features of these bills include a five-cent tax on every round of ammunition (no exclusion for .22 rimfire- adding $25 to every 500-round brick), a de facto requirement that everyone who buys ammunition is registered with The State, and (implicit in the context of the bill) such severe and insupportable regulations that ammunition manufacturers will be unable to comply with the restrictions.

Details and links available at Cogito Ergo Geek:

http://jerrythegeek.blogspot.com/2008/01/e...s-illinois.html

The NRA, as of this date, has absolutely no reference to these bills as 'Alerts' or 'Issues'.

The NRA won't tell you about this. But I will.

Not quite sure what NRA you belong to, but I have been getting email news from the NRA monthy (sometimes weekly) on these issues.

"Microstamping" is not the same as "encoding ammunition with serial numbers".

Ammunition encoded with serial numbers is a disaster. Not only would ammunition be serialized, but ALL non-serialized would become illegal to own! NO reloading!. Several states are trying to push this legislation.

If I have a little 'happy face' ground into the end of all my firing pins, will that qualify? :huh:

Edited by Tom S.

I, for one, would love to see some of my USPSA dues going to lobby against this stuff. Who better to stand up to these pieces of legislation that are so damning to our sport? Would we have to do without other things like updates to the rules and new divisions? Sure, but what is more important than keeping the sport that we have today going? So many folks who shoot USPSA have no clue about the politics of owning guns. Our priorities are a bit skewed :angry2:

Edited by larry cazes

If I have a little 'happy face' ground into the end of all my fireing pins, will that qualify? :huh:

How about a hand with only one visible finger. In honor of those who think it's a good idea.