Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington 11-87 and 18" barrel

check six

I'm new to 3-gun having shot only 5 matches. I'm shooting Limited with a G35 and a V3 Weaver scope on an AR15. The shotgun issue has been trying. I'm now using the 11-87 with the 18" barrel and need to have the barrel threaded for Remchoke and a new sight for the front end; but prior to more investment, I was hoping for a little advice from this group. I used the 11-87 Saturday and it shot everything: slugs and #6 Remington Shurshot heavy dove loads. The gun cycled fine, although my score for six slug rounds at 85 yards was a dismal 1 of 6. Most of the group uses anywhere from 26" to 22" barrels. In your experience is the 18" barrel just a more difficult gun to shoot? and is there any opinion on rifled barrels such as the Hastings 24" fully rifled? Thanks for your assistance.

You can probably find a used 1187 barrel with Rem chokes for about the same price as having your barrel done. I have tried the Hastings barrels and can't really see any difference. Try different brands of slugs to see what the gun likes. My preferrence would be a 24" barrel.

You dont want a rifled barrel for 3 gun?? You still have to shot birdshot??

Have you gone to the range and benched your gun with slugs? Your barrel could be

just fine but your point of impact might just be really high or low(funny thing with slugs)..

Most important thing with shooting slugs is to know your guns zeros 15-100yd,

A barrel with chokes may give you a tighter slug group with a certain choke but its not absolute..

I shot an 870 with smooth 18" barrel for a long time in 3gun and everything worked fine. Youll find

if you use higher velocity slugs they fly flatter and your poa is less variable but they have a sting to the shoulder.

Reduced recoil slugs are great but they have to be lobbed in like a mortar in an arch. If you learn your zeros youll

be fine....

I'm assuming you don't have sights on your gun right now. I like low profile sights, so that they are there for slugs, but ignorable when using shot. Most people use a magazine extension that increases mag capacity to 8 round, + one in the chamber. That equates to 22" barrel to bring it approximately even with the mag tube. It isn't absolutely necessary to have the barrel and mag of equal length, but it looks cool! My 11/87 has a 26" barrel and was originally a bird gun. I mounted Tru-Glo turkey sights to the rib. A 10 round magazine comes even with the end of the barrel, and works well in matches that allow the extra capacity (like Ironman).

You dont want a rifled barrel for 3 gun?? You still have to shot birdshot??

Have you gone to the range and benched your gun with slugs? Your barrel could be

just fine but your point of impact might just be really high or low(funny thing with slugs)..

Most important thing with shooting slugs is to know your guns zeros 15-100yd,

A barrel with chokes may give you a tighter slug group with a certain choke but its not absolute..

I shot an 870 with smooth 18" barrel for a long time in 3gun and everything worked fine. Youll find

if you use higher velocity slugs they fly flatter and your poa is less variable but they have a sting to the shoulder.

Reduced recoil slugs are great but they have to be lobbed in like a mortar in an arch. If you learn your zeros youll

be fine....

I don't know. I have a 26" on my 11-87 and have had no problems with the length. At Ironman this year I think I'll stick a 12 round tube on it and hope I don't break it off on a door jam or something!

My 1100 Tactical has a 22", which is just about ideal, but the longer barrel isn't really going to hurt either.