Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lighter guns faster? Slower?

Mark K

If this has been beaten to death here, just point me to the thread.

I started shooting USPSA late last year, and am totally hooked, shooting 2 USPSA and one IDPA match a month. I started with a LDA Para 18-9 in Limited/Minor so I could use the higher cap mags. I also shot it SSP and ESP (after adding a larger mag well) in IDPA. Then as I got more serious, I bought a Lightly used SVI Limited gun in 40S&W from a shooting buddy, so I could shoot Major. I sent the Para to Bill VanFossan for a trigger job, etc, and started shooting my Taurus 24/7 in the IDPA matches while it was in the shop, and was surprised at how good the gun control felt. I can't say I shot better, but that gun is not nearly as accurate at the longer distances.

This last weekend one of the guys at the local USPSA match had a newly built S&J Glock Limited gun, and it felt Sweet. I don't like even well worked Glock triggers, but the gun was light forward of the trigger, and that felt great.

I know that there are probably many schools of thought on the subject and I would like to hear some views. I spent many years shooting rifle with the Marksmanship Unit, and there, heavy is good. With a rifle you are trying to stay still, and the weight inhibits movement.

I don't plan on selling the SV, but I might consider having the slide lightened and if I ever considered shooting Open, a lighter front-end gun might be a consideration.

I'm just wondering.

Mark K.

Everyone is going to be different, but I think there are some general rules that usually apply. For most new shooters they're going to shoot faster splits and more accurately with a gun on the heavier side. A heavier gun might slow them down on transitions a little, but they're probably not able to take advantage of a lighter gun on transitions anyway because they aren't getting their eyes on the next target fast enough in the first place. A lighter gun will be easier to stop on target and that's a good thing for everyone. The lighter gun will likely present more of a challenge in tracking the front sight since everything happens a little faster and more abruptly. The very best shooters can see fast enough (if that makes sense) to track the front sight regardless of how quickly it's moving or how high it goes...so they can shoot splits that are pretty close to the same with a heavy or a light gun and maybe even faster with a light gun. What the top shooters are going to really take advantage of is the ease of faster transitions with a lighter gun...consider that they're rarely totally static and are shooting while moving very frequently where a heavy gun might seem to be lagging behind them as they're moving.

The only real way to know for sure is to get your hands on two guns of similar style and different weights and see which is faster for you after you've had some time to shoot them and get used to the feel of each. Figure a couple of hundred rounds then do some drills. Switch guns, couple hundred more rounds and then the same drills....that would really tell you something (and be fun too!). R,

Well, it really is hard to say. I very much prefer light guns myself, the lighter the better, and others prefer a gun that is a little heavier. There doesn't seem to be a classification relationship either, some of the best shooters like heavier guns while others like light guns. The same is also true of the C and D class shooters. It all boils down to what YOU like.

Here is what I know to be true, light guns can have weight added relatively cheaply and easily with tungsten parts and things like that. Heavy guns are more expensive and more difficult to take weight out of, they need to spend time on a mill to get any real weight moved.

A light gun with weight added probably makes more sense if you aren't sure of what you want, it can be adapted easier and cheaper than a heavy gun.

EDIT: Spelling

Edited by HSMITH

I came from a similar back ground as you (NRA High Power rifle). Under fixed set time limits (par-time), known target distances, and set shooting positions, the rifles will configured to stabilize body movement (HEAVY). What is being used to absorb recoil is having more mass to overcome the inertia of the rifle's action & round being sent downrange.

USPSA hand gun competition adds the factor of time, different shooting positions, foot movement, changing targets (& more). You don't have the luxury of set times to complete the string of fire. You must shoot accurately as fast as possible. The shooter must now use shooting technique the absorb recoil. It's true that your gun can be heavy to try to absorb recoil and most newbies will tend to think a heavy shoots "soft' and feels good. But as your technique improves, you'll find that a heavy gun will be slow during your draws and your target transistions.

There is a difference between a stock slide and a lightened slide in the shooting cycle. A lighter slide has less moving mass which will translate to "sharper" recoil but in reality lasting shorter. Before you start cutting slots/holes in your slide, attempt to lighten your gun and see how it feels.

SHOOT THAT TOOL.

:)

Take what you have now and learn to own it. When you get up there and start bumping into the Master class shooters on a regular basis, then you will know what you really want. Until then...just shoot.

It's only been recently that there has been a trend toward lighter guns. I find it kinda wierd...and I am a Glock shooter.

IMHO you want a heavy gun with a light slide. That way you get most of the advantages of a heavy gun. The moving mass is low so recoil is sharper and quicker. It works for me. First do what Flexmoney advises. Shoot the gun until it is an extension of your body. Then go looking for ways to make the tool better. If you give me Eric`s gun I will still suck, because I am a poor shooter. Give my gun to Eric and he will still kick serious butt with it.

Here is some vidoe on Saul's website:

http://www.doublealpha.biz/fun_interesting.htm

Go down to the bottom of the page and check out Blake Miguez. I'm not sure, but I think he runs the equilivent of your gun.

On that same page, go up a bit and clcik on the video with Steve Anderson shooting the clown stage. I know what his gun weighs. He is my shooting buddy and that used to be my gun. I think he was one of only 2 or 3 to get all those targets through that window. (Phil Strader was another...and I think his Limited gun is like yours).

And, if you go to this thread you can see me and the light weight Glock crushing some paper at just after the 1 minute mark. (Sharyn puts together some great match videos.) http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...c=48696&hl=