Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cast Bullet Smoke

Ignatz

I'm use to shooting cast bullets and putting up with the smoke. This weekend my loads did'nt seem to bad at all. Do cast bullets smoke less in cold weather(28deg) compared to (90deg)?...5.3 grs Unique .45 230 gr Lasercast making around 720 fps in my 625...thanks

+1 on the humidity conditions.

I use WST and it has helped some. I have SOLO 1000 on hand - it is to be a good powder with cast as well. I haven't been able to try it out yet.

Most of the smoke associated with cast is more from the lube than the bullet itself. That is what one of the Hodgdon support techs told me. He also said that if leading (fouling) was an issue the powder charge/type may be the culprit - maybe a too hot of a powder choice.

I'm use to shooting cast bullets and putting up with the smoke. This weekend my loads did'nt seem to bad at all. Do cast bullets smoke less in cold weather(28deg) compared to (90deg)?...5.3 grs Unique .45 230 gr Lasercast making around 720 fps in my 625...thanks

Welcome Ignatz!

Noticed you shoot a 625. I am sure the other revolver shooters here will be along shortly w/ their welcome. Good Q. on lead bullets - especially considering the stagering bullet price increases lately because now more people will be shooting lead.

I have noticed more smoke on hot days than in cold weather. The biggest problems I have had with lead were shooting indoors and shooting long strings in certain lighting conditions.

DEADEYE: RE Titegroup(TG): the problem with TG is not really its fast burning speed. For example, Clays also burns fast but does not smoke as much as TG.

The real problem with TG is how hot it burns. TG has the highest Nitro content of any of the double-based powders (about 37% according to Hodgdon & the Blue Press article). The high nitro content seems to contribute to the heat TG produces. The extra heat seems to make lead and poly-coated bullets smoke more.

I use Solo 1000 with both jacketed and lead. Solo 1000 is a single base fast burning powder.

(Ignatz - good 1st post BTW).

Regards,

D.

Dealing with early morning and late afternoon Sun depending on it's relation to the range seems to make smoky loads harder to deal with, aka see the targets. Wind also plays in to this , in addition to shooting on the move versus just standing in one spot in shooting , such as in the Steel Challenge.

• 2 weeks later...