Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pistol for 3-Gun?

Chris Rhines

Contemplating a new STI-type pistol for Tactical-division 3-gun, and thinking about what cartridge to have it set up for.

Most of the big matches I shoot/plan to shoot are IMG rules, which means no major/minor. The 9x19, with it's cheaper ammo and larger magazine capacity, would seem to be the cartridge of choice.

But a few matches run USPSA rules (the Nats, mostly) and there are a few more in which I would benefit from shooting a major-PF gun. Plus, I still do shoot USPSA and will probably switch back to Limited this season. So maybe the 0.40 is a better choice.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Chris

Contemplating a new STI-type pistol for Tactical-division 3-gun, and thinking about what cartridge to have it set up for.

Most of the big matches I shoot/plan to shoot are IMG rules, which means no major/minor. The 9x19, with it's cheaper ammo and larger magazine capacity, would seem to be the cartridge of choice.

But a few matches run USPSA rules (the Nats, mostly) and there are a few more in which I would benefit from shooting a major-PF gun. Plus, I still do shoot USPSA and will probably switch back to Limited this season. So maybe the 0.40 is a better choice.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Chris

I run a Glock 34 for our local 3 gun match.

No PF for that one, 9mm is cheap

And a Glock 35 in .40 for the matches that have PF on pistol.

No training difference.

And a trigger job is easy, a spring kit from Wolff at Brownells.

And some parts buffing time.

you can spend more money,, if you want

If your going to use the gun for limited get the 40 no ifs ands or buts about it...just not worth it shooting minor. If all you do is the IMG rules 3 gun the 9 would be the way to go. If your going to go back and forth get the 40 and stick with it, that way you'll be used to one pistol and not being going from major to minor. I shot my 9mm eagle the other day in IDPA and it was like I was shooting a .22. I didn't know how to shoot something THAT minor!

Didn't we just talk about this?

Go for the .40. Work up a load with 180 grain bullets for USPSA. Then load 155's for IMGA. Major/Minor with just a bullet change. POI will be virtually the same. Get an Eagle with a bushing barrel and you could shoot IDPA too. And, when you really get serious Chris, send it to Benny and have him put a 6", 9MM top end on it!

Hi Chris- sorry I couldn't make the last black creek.

If the other 3gun shoots you want to shoot are like black creek, you will be expected to re-holster the gun hot while on the clock. The gun I personally trust for doing that is the Glock - 'cause I don't want to accidently shoot my foot off. Maybe I am just paranoid. For USPSA I usually shoot a CZ or my SV single action.

Total sponsor plug:

I have been using a CZ Tactical Sport frame customized by www.ghostholster.com with a 9X19 top end for IMG and a .40 top end for USPSA. That setup has been working pretty well.

Sponsor plug over.

That being said, if you were going to pick one caliber for 3 gun, go with a 9mm if you are going to focus on 3 gun. If you are going to shoot a lot of Limited in USPSA, go with the .40. IMHO shooting IMG 3 gun with a .40 is easier than shooting USPSA Limited with a 9X19mm.