Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can you use a concentional guide rod set up on a Edge or Tactical

Alaskapopo

A friend of mine has a STI tactical in 45 acp. His Recoil master broke once and he had to replace it. Its a bull barrel gun I am not sure if he can go to a standard guide rod set up. Is there a way to do this without a brushing?

Pat

Make sure you get an STI cut guide rod AND have it fitted correctly. The Recoil Master plug should work.

I could have swore I read somewhere on here that the recoilmaster reverse plug would not work with the full length guide rod but my SearchFu is weak today and I cant find it. Maybe Chuck or one of the other gunsmith guru's will jump in and clarify. Either way, I bought the STI guide rod for $15.75 and the STI reverse plug for $6.80 from Shooter's, put'em in and had a gunsmith check it. It dropped right in and required no massaging to work fine.

I had no idea that there was a special guide rod cut for the STI. I have a Edge and shot it with the Recoil Master and I didn't care for the slow impulse. I put a Wilson guide rod and reverse plug in the gun and for 15 K or more rounds it has been fine.

What is done to the "special guide rod" to make it different?

Thanks, Buddy

I had no idea that there was a special guide rod cut for the STI. I have a Edge and shot it with the Recoil Master and I didn't care for the slow impulse. I put a Wilson guide rod and reverse plug in the gun and for 15 K or more rounds it has been fine.

What is done to the "special guide rod" to make it different?

Thanks, Buddy

This is from another thread...

QUOTE(sfinney @ Nov 5 2007, 06:03 AM)

The inside diameter of the hole in the reverse plug for a Recoilmaster is slightly different size than a regular reverse plug, if I remember correctly.

Additionally, the reason that there are 2 types of guide rods listed, 1911 and then STI, is that the STI guiderod has a smaller head on it (the protrusion on the back of the rod) due to the cutout in the frame for the guiderod head to ride in being machined smaller than normal in STIs; a normal 1911 guide rod won't fully seat in the frame, and will stick out the end of the gun about 1/8". Get the "STI" type steel guide rod and a new reverse plug, to be sure.....

+1 for Sfinney.

Just one more thing.... if you wanna you can cur with a dremel the guide rod head to obtain a STI guiderod head... its a simple operation

the whole thread is at ....

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...l=sti+guide+rod