Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

placement of 550

ghawk249

My bench has the same top but it is screwed to another bench making it 2 1/4" thick. I have 650's mounted at either end, close to the 4" x 4" legs. The bench is attached to the wall of my shop. Nothing moves, everything works.

Then a year ago I added the strong mounts to help deal with a lower back problem. When I added the strong mounts I started having problems and had to brace the case feeder but everything else worked fine.

Before you mount the press in a permanant location, bolt the press down to a piece of lumber and then try it in several different places in your workshop / benchtop area using c-clamps to hold it in place, to see what the different mounting positions might offer you in the way of work space, lighting, shelf access, storage, elbow room, ect.

Also, for me the strong mount was a really good upgrade. Solid mount and raised the height of the press to where I needed it to be.

Before you mount the press in a permanant location, bolt the press down to a piece of lumber and then try it in several different places in your workshop / benchtop area using c-clamps to hold it in place, to see what the different mounting positions might offer you in the way of work space, lighting, shelf access, storage, elbow room, ect.

Also, for me the strong mount was a really good upgrade. Solid mount and raised the height of the press to where I needed it to be.

+1 Plus make sure you have plenty of room on either side for your scale, box of bullets, junk cases.. etc etc. I like having a min of 2' on either side of the presses. You might want to add another vertical leg to your table fairly close to the press as well to add a bit more stability to the table. My legs get screwed to the desk as well as the floor.