Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting ready to go to the range and plan to shoot Ronin's Drill. String 5 at 10 yards says: Mozambique A, reload, Mozambique B, reload, Moz C. OK I don't know what that means. Whoever, reads this first and knows, please tell me....daylight is burning!

Jane

If the drill uses three separate targets, then I could presume it to be two rounds into the lower A zone and then one round to the upper A/B panel on target A, reload, repeat target B, reload, repeat target C.

Mozambique=

2 to the body, 1 to the head

(that's the way you know they are dead!!)

otherwise known as a failure drill=

the 2 to the body failed to get the job done, so you need one more to finish it

Edited by fortyfiveshooter

My understanding is two in the lower A one in the upper A. In Un-PC terms, two in the chest and one in the head. I'd wait for more clarification though.....

Never mind... I see my post time is about as quick as my draw time. Ha!

Edited by Neomet

When I was practicing this skill regularly for IDPA --- where it still sometimes comes up --- I was amazed at close the transition to the head was to a normal split once i got into the groove. On the other hand, in IDPA the entire head is worth 5 points....

(slight tacti-billy thread drift on)

Some have proposed that the noggin is pretty tough stuff, so much so that a bullet may very well skip off the forehead or just enter the skin, zip under the scalp and then exit out the back off the "noodle" without ever penetrating the skull.

Only a hit to the "ocular region" would be considered a hit good enough to produce "the one shot stop"

Soooooo.... those same mall ninjas would say that the USPSA target with it's "upper precision zone" (aka the eyebox) is therefore more realistic vs. the IDPA target.

(drift off)

Calamity Jane, if you're practicing just for USPSA style shooting, and this is just my opinion, I wouldn't waste the ammo on MBQ'ing those targets.

That's just my opinion. I may be wrong.

If it is just for USPSA practice, then I'd suggest putting up a "NO SHOOT!" target in front of a "bad guy" target so that only the USPSA "head box" (the small A zone and B zone) are visible and try putting two hits on that "head box" at a good pace.

Again, just my opinion. I could be wrong.

(slight tacti-billy thread drift on)

Calamity Jane, if you're practicing just for USPSA style shooting, and this is just my opinion, I wouldn't waste the ammo on MBQ'ing those targets.

Yeah...I'm a USPSA style shooter. However, MBQ'ing I think is always a valuable skill. Never know when you might need it. ;)

Only a hit to the "ocular region" would be considered a hit good enough to produce "the one shot stop"

Taking out the top of the spinal column is pretty effective, too - anything between the eyes and centered down to the mouth is reasonable... so a T-shaped A-zone would be a little more accurate for the mall ninjas... :lol:

She's running a drill that requires it.... But, in addition, why not run a Mozambique? What about it is "wrong" for USPSA practice? Do you ever shoot at a 6" square with one shot in this game? Do you ever shoot more/less than one shot on different types of targets? Do you ever index off of a large target to a small one and need to make an accurate shot?? ;)

Okay, I knew what a zombie drill is, but what is a Ronin's Drill?

http://re-gun.blogspot.com/2007/11/standar...r-practice.html ;)

Xre wrote something along the lines of:

Do you ever have to transition from a large target to a small target?

Short answer: Yes!

Double Trouble Steel Stage Vid

Smoke and Hope Steel Stage Vid

Again, it's just my opinion, MBQ'ing targets is more of an IDPA thing. Granted I have only been a for real USPSA member for a whopping whole one year. That's right! One whole year!

BUT, I have been an IDPA member for at least three years. Yeah, I have seen the MBQ a lot in IDPA matches.

Maybe only once I have I seen an MBQ "forced" upon USPSA shooters and that was at the 2007 MO fall classic. It was on a stage where the first array was a set of two or 3 "no shoot sandwiches". Alas, I don't have video of that stage.

Each target stand had 3 carboards stapled to it. The front carboard was a "shoot" target. The middle cardboard was a white "no shoot" that was slid slightly higher up the target stand, to expose the no shoot's head. The last or farthest back carboard on the target stand was a "shoot" target that was the highest or tallest on the target stand, again only to expose the head.

If Calamity Jane is looking to improve her overall shooting and/or her CCW skills, or if she also shoots IDPA, then yeah, practicing the MBQ is a good thing. All the more power to her.

If, however, she is strictly interested in USPSA shooting, I am still of the opinion she isn't going to see "forced MBQ's" during a USPSA stage very often, strictly a once in a blue moon thing. It may be more worthwhile for her to practice tranisitions from small target to small target. If she can get the threading the needle like shots down, then doing the first two COM hits of an MBQ should be cake. It's almost a cliche now, but like some top shooters have said, "Aim small, miss small."

Again, I have been a USPSA member for a whole whopping one year, so you can take what I have to say with the proverbial grain (or block) of salt.

Mozambique=

2 to the body, 1 to the head

(that's the way you know they are dead!!)

otherwise known as a failure drill=

the 2 to the body failed to get the job done, so you need one more to finish it

+1 and thank you for the refreshing lack of PC-speak.

Mmmmmm.... salty.... ;)

\

If Calamity Jane is looking to improve her overall shooting and/or her CCW skills, or if she also shoots IDPA, then yeah, practicing the MBQ is a good thing. All the more power to her.

Let me clue you in to something... something that a lot of people get so caught up in, and end up losing out because of it.

Shooting is shooting is shooting.

It doesn't matter that she'll never ever see a Mozambique drill in a real USPSA/IPSC stage (and is likely to never see the contrived two target variety, either). The drill is developing skills that apply regardless of which sport she's shooting - USPSA/IPSC, IDPA, Steel Challenge, SASS, whatever. Primarily - index to a small target, but also index to a small aiming area within that small target. It also happens to do it in a non-typical direction for an index - upward.

Put in context of the Ronin drill, there's a string at 10 yards that's Moz A, reload, Moz B, reload, Moz C - par time of 8 seconds. That whole string stresses several key skills in a way that you're never going to see in a match - ever, not even in an IDPA match - but in a way that forces you to be smooth on your reloads, to pick up the A-zone in the upper A/B sharply, and to be calm under pressure while executing. It also puts you in a "non-standard" engagement pattern (2-1-2-1-2-1 - for 3 on each target), which is always a good thing to work with, as well, even though you almost never see a stage that has anything other than 2 per target - and if you do, its usually 1 per target....

;)

I practice* 2 to the body, 1 to the head in dryfire, when I only am using one target. I especially find it valuable with iron sights...as a vision training exercise. My visual focus needs to be moving pretty quick to got from the front sight...to the head to locate my target SPOT...then back to the front sight...all in the time it takes me to move the gun up from the body to the head.

Similar concept in the figure-8 drills with 2 paper target. Or, with just about any setup where you switch between a relatively larger target area (lower A) and a smaller one (A-box in the head).

Oh...and we have a local USPSA club that does run a setup the simulates a Mozambique. (not all on a paper target...maybe I can get some video of it this spring)

(*...OK, did I say practice???)

I feel like I'm 16 years old again and I've got 2 boys fighting over me :blush:

All I needed to know was....what is MBQ'ing. Now I know.

As far as the drill goes....it's a good one.

IMO all shots fired are valuable. There is not one shot out of my gun that I don't carefully observe and learn from. ;)

Let's move on.