Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Great Cover

You don't have to like it. :)

I enjoy a different interpretation...a different perspective.

For example...talking about Seger (above) lead me to some of his stuff on youtube...then that lead me to Metallica. I like Seger, but Metallica covering them took it to a whole different place.

James, keep posting this stuff when you find it. You've got a go eye for a certain feel.

btw...when i saw the title, i thought is was going to be 3dog night

Funny that's what I think of when I see the name for that song too!!!

Didn't really imagine this would turn into a debate about the validity of cover songs. I actually think the original by U2 of this song is better, just thought this cover was interesting and liked the acoustic feel of it.

I'm a firm believer that original tracks are fine just the wayt they are. But I think a different take is sometimes worth exploring.

The best example I have to prove this is the following...

Hurt

This is Trent Reznor with Nine Inch Nails. I fully expect this is not the type music many would listen to. I do challenge you to listen to the lyrics and the way he sings them. He wrote this sitting on the edge of his bed losing a battle with heroin. Since he has kicked it's ass and is making music. The power of what he needs to say is bleeding from his voice...

This is Johnny Cash. ( like he needs an introduction!). I expect many more here can relate to this man and his music. Again I challenge you to listen to him sing these words. Not written by him, but if there is another voice that can make you feel like this I have not heard it. Johnny fought many demons and kicked ass till his last breathe. Many think this is the only true version of this song. In fact Reznor was quoted as saying that after hearing Cash's version he would never do this again live because it now belonged to Johnny Cash.

James

Wow, I didn't know Trent wrote that song but I do Know, that it is one of my favorite Johnny Cash songs. I can feel the pain when he sings it.

I agree with Trent that it is best covered by Johnny.

Edited by BSeevers

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the link! That is a great cover, but helps that it's one of my favorite U2 songs too. But :wub: Shinedown, was lucky to see them live last year. Had heard Hurt on the radio before, he does a great job.

Well, off to mine YouTube for Shinedown songs, be back in a few hours.... :lol: