Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading lead SWC for a M&P40

Throwin Lead

I picked up a sample pack of 175 gn lead SWC bullets that I would like to try to develop as a practice load. I'm planning on loading to a OAL 0f 1.125.

My biggest concern is how well will they run? Should I expect FTF issues because of the bullet profile? Should I make 10 at 1.120, 1.125.1.130 and see how those lengths react then load from there?

Doing a search prior to posting a few Glock shooters have used SWC successfully - any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

My only question is why so short?

If it were me, I'd load these so they just fit in the magazine. I've found that most guns like them a little longer as opposed to shorter. Even my Sig 229 likes them loaded to max length (1.135"-1.140") as opposed to shorter. I'd make up say 25-50 at max length and see if they function. Also loading up a few as dummies and then checking how they hand cycle is sometimes a good way to see if they will cycle as ammo. I try to avoid cycling live ammo into semi's as a test.

• 1 month later...

Your plan is fine and everyone's really covered it, but when I load for my FNP-40, I start at about 1.130 with a lead 155 grainer. I remove the barrel use it as a case gauge. I then extended the length about .005 at at time until it I can't twist the round freely in the chamber.

Usually 1.135 is not too long for anything I load and, as everyone says, the longer the better provided they fit in your mags. I got a reasonable deal on 1000 Berry's Plated 155 RNFP's and found that they like to be loaded at a max of about 1.137 in my barrel.

Just load them until they don't chamber and then back them off a bit.