Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

N320 in short .40

TheOtherErik

Any one have some starting load suggestions for N320 in .40?  My box stock STI CA Edge feeds well with a OAL of 1.130.  I think it would be self induced voodoo if I changed the OAL.  I think most people using N320 are running about 1.20 OAL with about 5.x grains.  Where do you think I should start with a 1.30 OAL and is it going to be safe?

Erik-

Ok so how long is too long and how do I tell if it is too long.  Most people  talk to are any running any where form 1.150 to 1.200.  So what...just pick a OAL at random and go from there? Or do I start on the short end and work my way up? I know this may sound like a dumb question but ive allway been a bit  leary deveating form published specs.

Some people go waaaay out to 1.24". Stick to 1.20."

You want to stick to published specs and you are using N320?! Dude, there ain't no published VV loads with the heavier bullets and their faster powders. N340 is as slow as they go.

The published specs go out the window at this length. You use considerably more powder. Flex's short load isn't even close.

OK you guys have convinced me... So I looked on jeff mass' loading page and a few entrys with n320 with a 180g bullet at about 1.20OAL call for about 5.0-5.3g of powder... does that sound about right to you guys. Or is your experience a little diffrent.

• 3 months later...

Using a 180 Montana Gold with a OAL of 1.2 I use 5.3 grains of VV320 to get a power factor of 172. With a 155 I use 6.2 grains of VV320 at a OAL of 1.20 to achieve a power factor of 171. The guys are right a OAL of 1.2 really does feed a lot better than a standard length round.

TOE,

I have a STI CA Edge too and I know what you mean when you say it likes the OAL on the short side. I can feed empty cases for crying out loud!

I do not shoot IPSC all that often but I really like a 180 gr  Zero JHP over 5.0 gr N320 with a 1.150 OAL.  

I started out with 4.9 and it was too close for comfort to the 165 threshold. bumped it up 0.1 for a little buffer.

11 lb spring w/ one shock buff and it cycles and tracks nicely, for me. YMMV, VWP, SYDFD, NOWEOI

Erik, this link is to my own reloading data.

If you wish to browse through more data, have a look at my club's website (english section for foreigners): www.teamoffire.it.

I shoot an SVI Competition in Standard division and have experimented quite a lot with VV N-320 as you will see.

My O.A.L. for 180 grs lead or copper plated bullet is 1.170", but I found out this particular load is not very lenght-sensitive in my gun.

Hope you will find something that fits your request.