Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Paying surcharge fee for use of credit card

We do this only with Custom gun builds. We do the frame payment with a credit card if the customer chooses with no fee. But we send out a letter with the frame that stipulates the process. The price on the Custom guns is a discounted price already and when you discount you can bring the CC Fee into the equation. We do that with dealers who buy in volume and get discounts. If they want the best pricing the fee has to be considered. Back to the letter, the letter stipulates forms of payment and allows the use of a credit card if they are willing to cover the fee, ours is now only 2.25% for mail order. This letter is sent out with the frame months ahead of time. We even call several weeks ahead to inform the customer the gun is almost done and they can submit the rest of the payment at their leisure.

If customers cannot understand this we may be forced to raise the price on the Bedell guns to start with. I hate to do this because it then punishes the guy paying with a check, money order, or wire transfer. We try to offer the best value in the market as it is. I would like to keep it that way.

Like it or not the CC fee is a cost of doing business. A cost that has to be covered in the profit margin. Fact is if there was not a CC fee then the price you pay for products would be that much cheaper. You are paying that fee regardless whether it is in the price or added on to a discounted price.

Back to the letter, the letter stipulates forms of payment and allows the use of a credit card if they are willing to cover the fee, ours is now only 2.25% for mail order. This letter is sent out with the frame months ahead of time. We even call several weeks ahead to inform the customer the gun is almost done and they can submit the rest of the payment at their leisure.

The problem with this letter of stipulation is, it is given after the fact that a price has been agreed upon irregardless of the type of payment the consumer uses. It would have been better if the consumer has been advice of the stipulation before a sale or down payment has been made. I do believe that there are others who do this in any way shape or form and not just shooters connection as some of my friends commented.

I hate to do this because it then punishes the guy paying with a check, money order, or wire transfer. We try to offer the best value in the market as it is. I would like to keep it that way.

This will never ever punish the guy paying a check, MO, or wire transfer when he knows what he is up to or has been presented before the sale or a down payment has been made.

Like it or not the CC fee is a cost of doing business. A cost that has to be covered in the profit margin. Fact is if there was not a CC fee then the price you pay for products would be that much cheaper. You are paying that fee regardless whether it is in the price or added on to a discounted price.

Vendors or merchants know the consequence when applying for use of CC as mode of payment and I agree that they have to factor it in. It is the responsibility of the vendor or merchant to make adjustments for profit margin before or during the sale and not after. Like I stated in my earlier post, what difference does it make if I buy $1000 worth of parts and accessories as to buying a gun worth $1000 where I am charge a surcharge fee but not on the parts and accessories?

I have no ill feelings towards any merchant/s related to this issue. I also hope that it will help change practices of how merchants deal with consumers regarding this issue.

I do my best to go over all the details when taking an order, sometimes I may leave something out so I follow it up with the letter. If there is a problem with the stipulations that is the time to voice a concern, or when we call to ask payment be sent 2-3 weeks before its done. So in effect the price agreed to is a discounted price based on those stipulations.

You have your opinion how a merchant should run his business but in the end it is up to the merchant to run his business. For one we all know there is a little more margin in parts than in guns.

Keep in mind that the merchant is being charged to process the transaction and this cuts into the profit margin. They could always mark up their merchandise and then offer cash or check discounts, same end result.

Here is some interesting material on the subject. http://www.gofso.com/Premium/LE/06_le_ic/f...-merchants.html

Forgot to respond on your very good info link. Thanks.