Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moon Clips for S&W 500

Yes! I know some of you will think I am crazy but I have been using my 500 mag (reduced loads ,440 gr SWC with 12.0 grns titegroup) at our local bowling pin match. When I miss, and it happens more often than I would like, I have problems extracting all of the casings from the cylinder to do a re-load. I am thinking of having the cylinder machined to accept moon clips from TK Custom.

I already have a few S&W guns with moon clips and love the ease of reloading and brass pickup.

Has anyone had this done to their 500?

• 3 weeks later...
Don't worry about reloads, just load it up. If you miss the muzzle blast should still knock 'em down.

Tom: The R.O. wont let me get close enough for the muzzle blast to knock the pins off the table! I have found the muzzle blast gives me an advantage with a new shooter, many of them pause to see what happened when I fire the gun. We shoot open sights one night per month and the 500 with reduced loads is a lot of fun to shoot. I have had a few complaints that the shooters following me have to walk too far to pick the pins .

The necessarily thin moonclips would flex considerably with all those very heavy bullets. I would expect them to be more prone to warping and bending. The .50 AE has been successfully moonclipped for the Redhawk, but the moonclips for these are thicker and not easily bent. You should send an email to TK Custom and ask if he thinks this would be worth the effort.

Dave Sinko

The necessarily thin moonclips would flex considerably with all those very heavy bullets. I would expect them to be more prone to warping and bending. The .50 AE has been successfully moonclipped for the Redhawk, but the moonclips for these are thicker and not easily bent. You should send an email to TK Custom and ask if he thinks this would be worth the effort.

Dave Sinko

Yes, TK Custom has clips for the .500 & .460.

Tom

The mystique of loading a "big" cartridge like a .50 cal (from the belt) one-at-time has a flavor all to itself......

Kinda like "one shot, one kill". Cause thats probably all you'll need.......

Forget the moonclips

DanBagger

Edited by D.carden

Thanks all for the input, I will be sending the cylinder off to Pinnacle on Friday as he will be setting up within the next few weeks to machine the cylinder. I am also considering having my airlite cylinder cut, being able to carry five rounds in a moon clip rather than a speed loader makes a lot of sense to me.

An Airlite, as in your carry gun? I'm not so sure that's a good idea. You see how fickle some of these moonclip conversions can be in competition, and that's when using a roundnose bullet and a certain type of brass that just happens to fit the clip well. At the very least you'd have to carry the spare reload in a rigid holder to prevent the moonclip from getting twisted and bent.

Dave Sinko

That would be a great pin thumpin gun. By the way, does your club have a web site? If so I would like to add a link to your site on my clubs site. Seems like I am always getting asked about other clubs and it would be nice to have a collection of links for other pin shooting clubs on our site.

Joe W.

An Airlite, as in your carry gun? I'm not so sure that's a good idea. You see how fickle some of these moonclip conversions can be in competition, and that's when using a roundnose bullet and a certain type of brass that just happens to fit the clip well. At the very least you'd have to carry the spare reload in a rigid holder to prevent the moonclip from getting twisted and bent.

Dave Sinko

Finding the right brass for the moon clips is not a problem, all of my moon clipped guns shoot RP and Federal brass with no problems. I only use factory ammo in my carry guns and will find the one that works best. I pre-check all of my moon clips prior to a match and in Ten years of competition I have had only one incident where I could not reload the gun, in that instance I dropped the clip and loaded another one. I am totally sold on moon clips and eventually will have it done to most of my revolvers.

That would be a great pin thumpin gun. By the way, does your club have a web site? If so I would like to add a link to your site on my clubs site. Seems like I am always getting asked about other clubs and it would be nice to have a collection of links for other pin shooting clubs on our site.

Joe W.

Joe: The 500 is great fun on pins, I do not have optics on this gun and use it for our open sight night the second wednesday of each month, the long sight radius really helps with the accuracy. Our shooting is done at Doug's Shooting sports in Taylorsville, Utah every wednesday night. If I can find a website for them Iwill post it.