Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extreme Engineering trigger kits

el pres

• 5 years later...

I had trigger looked over by gunsmith on my STI Edge and STI GM and he installed Extreme Engineering sear, sear spring and disconnector. When I got them back the trigger pull is clear, crisp and light but...

First, seems like he just dropped things in... I have the following issues;

(1) On both Edge and GM - when cocked and safety on, if grip safety is engagedand trigger pressed

the hammer moves a little bit and stays there, then when safety is flipped off, the hammer falls halfway forward.

(2) On GM - if cocked and safety on - if grip safety engaged and trigger is pressed hard hammer will fall.

So in both cases -- the safety function is not working as it should (obviously I have put back old parts as this

is not the way things should be).

Any ideas, is this something in need of proper fitting or ... in discussion with gunsmith about this and how

to fix it (or should he also be replaced ;-)

/ Jens

Edited by jenlu

You can often get a good trigger job by really learning how the sear, disconnector portions of the sear spring operate and practice adjusting the spring correctly. I seriously doubt most smiths now do all the filing and stoning that was necessary back in the 80s and prior to that. Now it's mostly exchanging sears and/or hammers.

Changing sears often changes sear to safety fit. You need new thumb safeties properly fit to use the EE parts. This is normal. However, your gunsmith should have checked and told you this.

Ok, have taken both apart again and you are correct, the thumb safety allows the sear to move just enough to cause this on both guns. So need to get new thumb safety fitted...

Edited by jenlu