Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How easy is to...?

Jay6

it to change out the mag catch to a competition unit? I got a new one today and do not know where to start?????

Also, are changing out sights easy enough to do by myself? I am pretty handy, just fairly new to working on the Glock.

With the slide off frame, look in the bottom of magwell (or top), there is a little straight round spring. when you push the mag release you can see it move. Push it over and push the mag release out. When you put it back together, make sure the spring goes into the notch of the mag release.

THIS video does a relatively good job showing you the ins and outs of your Glock...but not how to remove the magazine catch spring. So, I'll tell ya how to do it.

Place the tip of a flat screwdriver on the left side of the spring, and push it right and up to lift it out of the groove. Then move it out of the way just enough to allow the removal of the magazine catch. If you want to take out the spring, you'll want to use needle nosed pliers and pull it straight out.

Realistically, there is NO need to remove this spring unless it breaks and you are replacing it.

THIS video does a relatively good job showing you the ins and outs of your Glock...but not how to remove the magazine catch spring. So, I'll tell ya how to do it.

Place the tip of a flat screwdriver on the left side of the spring, and push it right and up to lift it out of the groove. Then move it out of the way just enough to allow the removal of the magazine catch. If you want to take out the spring, you'll want to use needle nosed pliers and pull it straight out.

Realistically, there is NO need to remove this spring unless it breaks and you are replacing it.

Thanks guys! Sounds pretty simple.

I have a feeling the front and rear sight change is going to be a lot different. I got a Warren Sevigney fiber front and want to get it on before a match this weekend. Will I need special tools or just some know how?

The front sight is easy with a thin walled nut driver. I beat my rear one in with a delrin punch but I highly recommend a sight pusher. If you don't have access to one pay someone $20 to do it. I'm a cheap bastard so I did it the hard way.

Depends on which model Glock. I have that sight on my G34. The factory sight is held on with a plastic pin and can be removed with a pair of needle nose pliers. The new sight is threaded on from the bottom. The long slide models have a small hole that a tool must fit through to tighten down the small nut. On my G17 and G19 I use a Craftsman 3/16" socket driver. Most folks use a drop or two of Red Locite to secure the sight. Some folks have used a grinder to slim down a deep well socket again 3/16".

Bruce

The stock plastic sights are pretty easy to remove. The sights you want to install, however, maybe a bear to put on and zero without a sight tool. Some of the metal rear sights fit TIGHT.

Seek out another Glocker in your area that may get you squared away for free, buy the tools, or seek the help of a gunsmith.

I had no trouble installing Dawson adjustible rear with a pollymer punch and a rawhide mallet. Of course zeroing it was not an issue. For a fixed rear you will probably need a sight mover.

I've learned the hard way that the mag catch is best to leave stock and just learn to hit it. I even prefer the short button over the long one on the G34/35. I took my aftermarket release out. If you feel the need to try one, practice a lot with it before taking it to a match and discovering the frustration of having your magazine unexpectedly leave the gun due to bumping an oversize button. Try it weak handed too.

Two years of shooting Glocks with the extended mag release and have yet to accidentally hit it during a COF. Some people have a problem with it, some dont. I think it has a lot to do with the shooters hand size and grip. Glock extended mag releases are not vor everyone, but for $20 and 5 minutes to change it, its worth trying out. If it's not for you, just switch it back. Hell, carry it as a spare or sell it if you don't like it.

Two years of shooting Glocks with the extended mag release and have yet to accidentally hit it during a COF. Some people have a problem with it, some dont. I think it has a lot to do with the shooters hand size and grip. Glock extended mag releases are not vor everyone, but for $20 and 5 minutes to change it, its worth trying out. If it's not for you, just switch it back. Hell, carry it as a spare or sell it if you don't like it.

I actually LOVE it. Since I have fairly small hands with a large frame gun, it makes mag changes SO much easier.