Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Please explain how powder affects recoil

Alaskapopo

Sorry if this has been covered. But how can the powder type effect recoil. I under stand the physics of increasing bullet weight and velocity will increase recoil (every action has an opposite reaction). But how can powder a that pushes a 200 grain bullet at 900 fps recoil less than powder b that also pushes a 200 grain bullet at 900 fps. Thanks for our responses.

pat

Sorry if this has been covered. But how can the powder type effect recoil. I under stand the physics of increasing bullet weight and velocity will increase recoil (every action has an opposite reaction). But how can powder a that pushes a 200 grain bullet at 900 fps recoil less than powder b that also pushes a 200 grain bullet at 900 fps. Thanks for our responses.

pat

The dwell time of the powder burn will be different...a short jab versus a long push. Also, if you need to use more of powder B you're increasing the gas volume that goes out the end of the barrel and that causes more of a jet effect which pushes back into your hand. R,

While the greatest amount of recoil is from the bullet, the mass of the powder is also a factor. Everything that is pushed out the muzzle contributes to recoil, so, in a shotgun, the wad also counts.

While the calculated recoil may be identical, the duration of the impulse will make the felt recoil different. Some like the snappier recoil of a light bullet pushed fast, whereas others prefer the slower push of a heavier bullet traveling at a lower velocity.

In the case of two loads firing the same bullet to the same velocity, the load with the greater quantity of powder will, mathematically, have the greater recoil. The "feel" may be different, however, but I expect it will be slight.

Guy

to add even more confusion, the real effect of changing from fast to slow and vice versa is when changing bullet weight at the same time for a desired effect.

for open, the lightest possible bullet with the slowest/gassiest powder to make the most out of the comp, but for SD/LTD/PD a heavier bullet with a faster powder is the thing, for most ppl.

An example for PD: *these are fictive numbers only to make a point, although they might be around realistic chrono numbers for some guns. try for yourself!*

124gr bullet with 5gr of N340 gives PF 135

or

147gr bullet with 4gr og N320 gives PF 135

both powders have the same energy pr mass unit if you read VV's data, but the faster N320 will get a higher pressure under the heavier bullet, giving it enough speed to make the same factor. Its still slower than the 124gr projectile, but it holds the same factor.

Since it does this with X gr less powder, the powder energy is reduced, therfore there is less BANG energy in your hand.

A heavier bullet going slower also makes for a lower percieved recoil.

Edited to add: Please someone correct me if I'm wrong at 1:50 in the morning after graveyard shift overtime and toxic fumes effecting on my brain....

This works for ME.

It probably doesn't work for avarage Joe M shooter, because he can handle the faster bullets with the faster powders and the much faster and snappier recoil, which gives him faster sight picture and faster follow up shot, because avarage Joe M-class shooter can handle it. Me being a C-class shooter is much better off with a heavy bullet/fast powder combo.

Edited by jostein jensen