Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Single Stack Elitist Club

zhunter

5" .45 is the way to go :devil:

I know. But I'm leaning toward getting a 5" 9mm and shooting SS minor for a while. **Ducks and takes cover as the purists hurl rotten fruit** A guy at a match recently let me shoot his and it was like shooting a .22 :surprise:

Don't worry, I also plan on getting a 5" .45 next after that.

Man up and buy both. You aren't a REAL 1911 devotee til you have at least 3 calibers.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

speaking of gear, got some new Wilson mags for my SS gun to play with. Now I think I may have to get a new gun to go with my new mags B)

I recently got the Comp-Tac Belt Holster for a 1911. Used it once at the match Saturday. Now I'm thinking of getting that Dawson Super-Tuned STI Spartan to put in it. (Some kind of full-size 1911 will soon replace my 3" Kimber in it. Still not 100% sure what I'm going to get.)

Ordered some CR Speed mag pouches. Still waiting for them to come in.

What I really need is a bunch of ammo to go practice with. I probably haven't fired 150 rounds outside of matches this year. "Practice? What's that? This match is practice for the next match." (And I wonder why I'm still D Class in every division I've shot.)

im trying to convince myself to pull the trigger on that exact gun! i do need to get myself a birthday/christmas present

I know. But I'm leaning toward getting a 5" 9mm and shooting SS minor for a while. **Ducks and takes cover as the purists hurl rotten fruit** A guy at a match recently let me shoot his and it was like shooting a .22 :surprise:

Man up and buy both. You aren't a REAL 1911 devotee til you have at least 3 calibers.

I have a .45, but with it's 3" barrel and aluminum frame, the muzzle flip is somewhat . . . violent. It's not really suited for competition but that's what I've been using in SS because that's what I have. Going from a 25-ounce .45 to a 43-ounce 9mm does seem like cheating :closedeyes:

It seems like it takes me forever to get back on target after each shot. When I shot the 9mm, I only fired 10 rounds, but the last few were just as fast as I could pull the trigger and the front sight never lifted off the target. I was like, "Whoa, I got to get me one of these!"

I know shooting major is the way to go. But my shot-to-shot splits are terrible. I'm usually one of the slowest guys at the match. I make some of that up with accuracy, but I still finish near the bottom. When I try to push the speed just a little, I start having trigger control issues that I have never had before. I think going minor for a while would help me--like training wheels, lol, and that's embarassing that I need training wheels, but I do.

I don't know that I'll need a 1911 in .40. (Though I have considered that I could buy a .40 and shoot minor with that, then up the load to major whenever I choose. That's a thought.)

My pl- . . . po- . . . pr- . . . other pistol is a .40.

Dang missed A class by .26 of a percent! Next month is a classifier match, so hopefully I can make it over the hump then.

Tell me about it. I only gained 0.20% over last month. I would have had it, but I trashed an incredibly easy classifier.

15. A62335 A62335 B 74.74

16. Steve J A51440 B 74.47

17. Dave Gundry A60363 B 74.04

That would be 45ACP first, 38 Super second, and 10mm third. The only 3 calibers designed specifically for the 1911.

That would be 45ACP first, 38 Super second, and 10mm third. The only 3 calibers designed specifically for the 1911.

10mm would be interesting. I've always liked the Kimber Eclipse, and it comes in 10mm. Hmm.

Not what I need at the moment, but would be cool to have.

I know .38 Super is a good caliber, I just don't know what I'd do with it. Not even on the radar at this point. A few years down the road, who knows?

A 5" in 9mm is great for steel challenge, waste of time for being competitive in USPSA, but not so say it would not be fun

the 38 super 1911 intrigues me as well, but i have way to many other things i need first. Cant think of much of a use for a 38super other than in an open gun at this point. do a lot of people use it for a carry caliber?

the 38 super 1911 intrigues me as well, but i have way to many other things i need first. Cant think of much of a use for a 38super other than in an open gun at this point. do a lot of people use it for a carry caliber?

Get a 38 super and barrel it for 9mm or visa versa. I've got a old 38 super factory comp gun from Springfield that has a 38, 9mm uncomped barrel, and a 38 and 9mm comped barrel.

Thanks for the welcome Mike. It is good to see where I am sitting with the rest of the snobs. I am working on getting ready for WSSSC in January. If you are still looking at 5" 45s let me know I'll let you shoot my Springfield Loaded and see how you like it. My vote in on Springfield Armory for the fact they are big supporters of this sport and thier customer service is second to none. Although I don't think you'll be dissapointed with an STI either. Let me know.

Also lets have a show of hands, who else is going to the WSSSC?

:cheers:

If you are still looking at 5" 45s let me know I'll let you shoot my Springfield Loaded and see how you like it.

I may take you up on that at a match in Hobbs some time. They should start up again in February.

I like the looks of the Springfields as well as their reputation, but I've never fired one (except for a . . . that other pistol they make, you know, the ones that don't have quite as much metal in them).

There have been a couple of posts deleted here. If yours was one of them it is because you quoted the the actor.

[edit to add]

To add a bit to what John just said...

We closed a thread in another part of the forum, since it was a political issue.

That carried over into this thread, and the political issue was brought up again.

Obviously, there was plenty of emotion attached to those two posts...which is a very important reason why we don't do politics here on this forum.

If anybody has any comments or questions on any of this, send me (Flexmoney) a PM.

Kyle F.

Forum Administrator

Annother gun talk Q

I was doing some cleaning in my garage and found a couple of mags for my Officer's Model (Kimber Ultra) and was wondering if there is a way of Turning the 6 round magazines into 7 rounders?

Also as a SS Snob update, my bride has abandoned the round gun for a Springfield EMP-9 :cheers: which she really enjoys shooting.